1. National Handloom Day: 7th August
- The National Handloom Day is being observed every year on 7 August to honour the handloom weavers in the country and also carter an impetus to India’s handloom industry. This year it was third edition of the National Handloom Day after it was instituted in 2015.
- This year it was third edition of the National Handloom Day after it was instituted in 2015.
- The celebration of the day seeks to highlight the contribution of handloom to the socioeconomic development of the country and promote handlooms to increase income of weavers and also enhance their pride.
2. PNB customers to pay higher charges for non-credit services:
- Come September, PNB customers will have to pay charges for depositing cash above Rs. 5,000 in a non-base branch even if it is located in the same city.
- Currently, the customers of Punjab National Bank have levied charges only for depositing cash over Rs. 25,000 at a non-base branch within the same city.
- It has been decided to revise the non-credit related charges (exclusive of GST) with effect from September 1, 2017, for cash deposit above Rs. 5,000 at other than base branch within the same city.
3. IIT Delhi researchers develops new nanotechnology-based drug delivery system:
- An all-women team of researchers from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi has developed a new drug delivery platform using nanoparticles.
- The nanotechnology-based drug delivery system has ability to boost the efficacy of antibiotics at the cellular level and improve chances of recovery from cancer-related bacterial infections.
4. Justice Srikrishna committee on Institutionalization of Arbitration Mechanism:
- A High-Level Committee set up to review the Institutionalization of Arbitration Mechanism in India has submitted its report to the Union Law Ministry. It was headed by Justice (retired) BN Srikrishna.
- The Union Government is committed to the speedy resolution of commercial disputes and to make India an international hub of Arbitration. So the government has decided to look into the recommendations and amended laws according to need.
5. Vijender beats Zulpikar to win WBO Oriental Super Middleweight title:
- Indian professional boxer Vijender Singh outslugged his Chinese opponent Zulpikar Maimaitiali to retain the WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight title and win the WBO Oriental Super Middleweight title.
- In the pro boxing bout, termed as ‘Battleground Asia’, at Mumbai, Vijender recorded a unanimous decision win over his Chinese opponent and continued his undefeated streak. It was Beijing Olympic bronze medallist’s ninth successive win in his professional career.