Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 7th October 2017
1. PM Modi Lays Foundation Stone for Bridge in Dwarka, Gujarat:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of a four-lane cable-stayed bridge between Okha and Beyt Dwarka.
- The bridge is a link between old and new Dwarka. The 2.32 km bridge, including 900 metres of central double span cable-stayed portion, will be constructed at a cost of Rs. 962.43 crore.
- The four-lane 27.20-metre wide bridge will have 2.50 metre wide footpaths on each side. Solar panels installed on the roof of footpath will produce 1 MW power for street lights on the bridge.
2. Centre sets up a group to study problems of people living along LoC in J & K:
- The Union government has set up a study group to examine problems faced by the people living near the International Border (IB) and the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir in the wake of regular threats of cross-border firing.
- Besides meeting locals living near the border areas, the group would be meeting the security forces deployed there as well as the district administration officials and local public representatives.
- The panel would be headed by Rina Mitra, Special Secretary in the Home Ministry.
3. Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya & UP Sign MoU to boost culture and tourism:
- Uttar Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh & Meghalaya have signed a MoU under the ‘Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat’ program to boost cultural ties.
- Under the program, the states will connect with each other to know more about the culture, heritage, and traditions of each other.
- The programme will enhance the interaction between people of diverse cultures living in different states and union territories, with the objective of promoting greater mutual understanding among them.
4. ISRO to Set up Research Centre in Guwahati:
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) will set up a research centre in Guwahati, Assam for start ups, academicians, environmentalists and entrepreneurs.
- ISRO would set up the exclusive research facility in Assam to explore the possibility of using geospatial technology, which include data generated through global positioning system (GPS), geographical information systems (GIS) and satellite remote sensing for expediting the development of Assam.
5. World Dental Show-2017 opens in Mumbai:
- The three days international exhibition ‘World Dental Show 2017’ has been opened in Mumbai, showcasing the evolving global technologies and techniques in dentistry.
- Indian Dental Association (IDA) hosted the exhibition which has witnessed participation from the international exhibitors are displaying their latest dental wares in 250 well-furnished stalls.
- Through WDS 2017, an unparalleled opportunity to learn, share knowledge, socialize and to experience the state-of-the-art technology and equipment related to the world of dentistry.
6. First Meeting of India-Australia Joint Steering Committee Held:
- The First Meeting of India-Australia Joint Steering Committee was held in New Delhi.
- Shri TVSN Prasad, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs and Mr. Stephen Bouwhuis, First Assistant Secretary, International and Auscheck Division, Criminal Justice Group, Attorney-General’s Department led the respective delegations.
- This meeting was a follow-up to the MoU on Cooperation in Combating International Terrorism and Transnational Organized Crime exchanged between the two sides during the visit of Australian Prime Minister Mr. Malcolm Turnbull to New Delhi in April 2016.
7. India to get its first marine police training institute:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday announced the setting up of India’s first marine police training institute at Gujarat’s Devbhumi Dwarka district.
- Stating that the government is working towards the modernisation of marine police force, PM Narendra Modi said the police will be trained to provide security within a five-kilometre boundary along the coastline.
8. JSA Becomes First Law Firm in GIFT City:
- J Sagar Associates (JSA) is the first law firm to have opened an office at Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT).
- Setting up this office would help JSA consolidate their Financial Services Practice. The office was inaugurated by Sudhir Mankad – Chairman of GIFT IFSC.
- Several banks, brokers and stock exchanges including the BSE and the National Stock Exchange have set-up their operations in GIFT, which will operate like a tax haven.
9. Govt. to launch sovereign gold bond scheme -III:
- The union govt. in consultation with RBI has decided to issue Sovereign Gold Bonds 2017-18 Series-III from 9th October this month.
- The bonds will be sold through banks, Stock Holding Corporation of India Limited, designated post offices and recognized stock exchanges (NSE and BSE) from 9th October this month.
- Earlier in Nov. 2015, The sovereign gold bond scheme was launched with an objective to reduce the demand for physical gold and shift a part of the domestic saving.
10. SBI’s first woman Chairman Arundhati Bhattacharya retires:
- SBI’s first woman Chairman Arundhati Bhattacharya retired on Friday, over 40 years after joining the country’s largest lender as a probationary officer.
- She said “I’ve seen the bank from a long distance, from the days of huge ledgers to now when everything is on cloud.” “I’m happy that I’ve future-proofed the bank,” she added.
- Rajnish Kumar took over as the chairman of the largest public sector bank, the State Bank of India (SBI).
11. Magicbricks Launches India’s First Online Property Bidding Platform:
- Magicbricks announced the launch of India’s first online bidding platform for residential and commercial properties and tied-up with developer M3M for the inaugural ‘My Bid, My Home’ under which consumers can bid for ready-to-move-in residential properties in Gurugram.
- Magicbricks has been recently awarded the Standardisation, Testing and Quality Certification (STQC) by the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, making it the country’s only real estate portal eligible for a bidding platform for properties.
12. Flipkart Launched Private Label MarQ for Large Appliances Category:
- Flipkart announced the launch of MarQ, an in-house brand in the large appliances category.
- MarQ is an in-house brand of Flipkart, that sells large appliances. This has been done in a move expands Flipkart’s self-branded offerings on its marketplace.
13. Former Union Minister Purushottam Lal Kaushik Passes Away:
- Former Union minister and socialist leader Purushottam Lal Kaushik died due to age-related ailments at his home in Chhattisgarh’s Mahasamund district. He was 87.
- He had served as tourism and civil aviation minister in the then Prime Minister Morarji Desai’s cabinet during 1977- 1979. He headed the Information and Broadcasting Ministry in the then Prime Minister Charan Singh’s cabinet during July 1979-January 1980.
14. Filmmaker Kundan Shah Passes Away:
- Veteran director Kundan Shah, best known for the dark comedy Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro, passed away at his home, family sources said. He was 69.
- Shah passed away after suffering a heart attack. He made his directorial debut on television in 1986 with the popular series Nukkad.
15. John Hastings retires from the Test & ODI Cricket:
- Australian fast bowler ‘John Hastings’ (31-years) has called it quits from Test Match and ODIs, citing recurring injuries as the reason. Hastings wants to solely focus on T20 cricket.
- He has represented Australia in 1 test, 29 ODIs and 9 T20Is. In 2016, Hastings was the world’s leading ODI fast bowler after picking up 29 wickets in 15 matches.