Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 7th September 2017
1. India’s first Hyperloop to come up in Andhra Pradesh:
- India’s first Hyperloop project will come up in Andhra Pradesh, connecting its city centres, Vijayawada and Amaravati.
- In this regard, Andhra Pradesh Economic Development Board (APEDB) has inked memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT) for developing the project.
- The first of its kind project in India will use a Public Private Partnership (PPP) model with funding primarily from private investors.
- Hyperloop Technology is brainchild idea of technology entrepreneur Elon Musk who dubs it as fifth mode of transportation.
2. Indo-US Exercise Yudh Abhyas 2017:
- A joint military training, Exercise Yudh Abhyas-2017 will be conducted at Joint Base Lewis McChord, Washington, USA from 14 to 27 September 2017 between India and the USA.
- Exercise Yudh Abhyas is one of the largest joint running military training and defense corporation endeavors between India and USA. This will be the 13th edition of the joint exercise hosted alternately between the two countries.
3. India-Sri Lanka joint maritime naval exercise: SLINEX 2017:
- The seventh edition of India-Sri Lanka joint maritime naval exercise SLINEX 2017 has begun near Vishakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh) in Bay of Bengal. It will be conducted from 7th to 14th September 2017.
- The seven days exercise aimed to reinforce strong neighbourly ties between both countries underscored by extensive maritime interaction and improved understanding.
- SLINEX 2017 focused on fleet work, seamanship, communication, replenishment at sea as well as helicopter operations.
4. Gujarat CM flags off ‘Narmada Mahotsav Yatra’:
- The chief Minister of Gujarat ‘Vijay Rupani’ flagged off 10-day long ‘Narmada Mahotsav Yatra’ from Surendranagar district to create awareness about the importance of increased water supply from Narmada canal-based projects in different parts of the state.
- Decorated tableaus mounted on vehicle accompanying Ma Narmada’s chariot will depict the achievements of the Agriculture and Veterinary Departments in the state.
- Procession after meandering through villages across the state will culminate at Dabhoi (Vadodara) in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s birthday (17th September).
5. NITI Aayog constitutes expert task force on employment & exports:
- NITI Aayog has constituted an ‘Expert Task Force’ (headed by Vice Chairman Dr. Rajiv Kumar) to provide a major thrust to job creation by enhancing India’s exports.
- The panel will give recommendations on sector-specific policy interventions in key employment sectors and measures to enhance trade in services with high employment potential.
- An urgent and sustained expansion of the organized sector is essential to address India’s unemployment and underemployment issue.
6. Govt. forms expert committee to identify key data protection issues in the country:
- The union govt. told Supreme Court that an expert committee has been constituted under the Chairmanship of former apex court judge ‘Justice BN Srikrishna’ to identify key data protection issues in India and recommend methods to address them.
- The committee will study various issues and make specific suggestions for consideration of the government on the principles to be considered for data protection.
7. India and Japan Agree to Collaborate in Defence Production:
- India and Japan have agreed to collaborate closely in defense production, including on dual-use technologies.
- Defence Minister Arun Jaitley and his Japanese counterpart Itsunori Onodera signed the agreement during India-Japan annual defense ministerial dialogue in Tokyo.
- The two sides also agreed to ramp up counter-terror cooperation, besides deepening engagement among navies, air forces and ground forces of the two countries.
8. UJALA scheme launched in Melaka, Malaysia:
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), under Ministry of Power, Government of India has launched UJALA (Unnat Jyoti by Affordable Lighting for All) Scheme in the State of Melaka, Malaysia.
- The Scheme was launched by Chief Minister of Melaka Datuk Seri Utama Ir. Hj. Idris Bin Hj. Haron.
- Now, each household in Melaka will get 10 high-quality 9-watt LED bulbs at a cost of only RM 10.
- Currently, over 25-crore LED bulbs have been distributed under the UJALA scheme in India, which are resulting in 33,828 mn kWh of energy savings per year.
9. Parineeti Chopra, First Indian Woman Ambassador For Tourism Australia:
- Bollywood actress Parineeti Chopra has been appointed as the first Indian woman ambassador in ‘Friends of Australia’ (FOA) advocacy panel by Tourism Australia.
- The ‘Friends of Australia’ program has been devised as a way of fostering mutually beneficial, long-term friendship with those that Tourism Australia regards as unique storytellers.
- The panel also includes influential personalities like chef Sanjeev Kapoor and cricket commentator Harsha Bhogle.
10. GIFT City Wins ASSOCHAM Services Excellence Awards:
- India’s first operational Smart City and IFSC, Gujarat International Finance-Tec City (GIFT City), has won the prestigious Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) Services Excellence Award.
- At a summit held in New Delhi, GIFT SEZ was honored for its contribution to the growth of the International Financial Services and Technology Hub in India.
11. BSNL, Coriant Tie up to Chart 5G:
- State-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) entered into an agreement with US-based networking solutions provider Coriant to chart the path to 5G and Internet of Things (IoT) in India.
- The MoU was signed between BSNL and Coriant for laying the foundation for innovation in network architectures and services leveraging 5G, IoT, Software Defined Networking/Network Functions Virtualization (SDN/NFV), and mobile edge computing technologies.
12. Ashok Leyland Inks Pact with Rosoboronexport, ELCOM:
- The defense entity of Hinduja Group flagship company Ashok Leyland had signed an MoU with Rosoboronexport, Russia, to supply tracked vehicle solutions to the armed forces.
- Rosoboronexport (ROE) is the only State organization in Russia for export of the entire range of military products and technologies.
- Ashok Leyland signed another MoU with ELCOM Group which is also emerging as a significant player in strategic electronics, avionics, and tactical communication globally.
13. SBI Life Insurance Gets SEBI approval for Rs 8,400 crore IPO:
- SBI Life Insurance has received approval from the Securities and Exchange Board of India(SEBI) for an IPO (Initial Public Offering) of up to Rs 8,400 crore ($1.3 billion).
- The IPO will involve 120 million secondary shares or 12 per cent of the insurer’s equity capital. State Bank of India which currently owns 70.1 per cent of the insurer, will sell 80 million shares and BNP Paribas Cardif, holder of a 26 per cent stake, will sell 40 million.
14. Shyam Saran’s Book ‘How India Sees the World’ Launched:
- The book of Former Foreign Secretary Shyam Saran named “How India Sees the World: Kautilya to the 21st Century”– was launched by former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
- In the book, Mr. Saran records the crucial meeting of the CCS (Cabinet Committee on Security) on the eve of India-Pakistan Defence Secretary-level talks in May 2006.
15. India to Host Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships in 2019:
- India will host the 2019 edition of the Commonwealth (Youth, Junior and Senior) Weightlifting Championships.
- The Executive Board of Commonwealth Weightlifting Federation met at Gold Coast, Australia and decided to allot the 2019 edition of the competitions to India.
- The current edition of the tournament is being held at the Gold Coast, Australia.