GK Update & Current Affairs: 8th August 2018
1. TRAI Integrates Its Mobile App DND 2.0 & MyCall With UMANG Platform
• Recognizing the importance of reaching out to the consumers and to safeguard their interests, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has now integrated its Mobile Apps namely DND 2.0 & MyCall with UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) Platform.
• UMANG is developed by National e-Governance Division (NeGD), Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY). From now onwards, TRAI’s Mobile Apps namely DND 2.0 &MyCall shall also be available on Umang Platform.
2. Government, NABARD and NWDA Sign Revised MoA For Funding Of Projects Under PMKSY
• The Union Ministry of Water Resources, the NABARD and the National Water Development Agency (NWDA) signed a revised Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) for funding of central share of 99 prioritised irrigation projects under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY).
• The funding will be done through the Long Term Irrigation Fund (LTIF). The revised MoA will enable the Ministry of Water Resources to release Central Assistance to prioritised projects under PMKSY as per the requirements from time to time.
3. 3rd India-Nepal Coordination Meeting Starts In New Delhi
• The 3rd India-Nepal Coordination meeting was started in New Delhi. A seven-member delegation from Nepal, headed by Inspector General of Nepal Armed Police Force Shailendra Khanal will take part in the three-day meeting.
• During the meeting, several important matters like security scenario along the border, coordination meetings at field level, sharing of information about crimes and criminals, training of armed police personnel and mutual visits by officers of two countries will be discussed.
4. NGT Forms Panel To Monitor Rejuvenation Project Of Ganga
• The National Green Tribunal constituted a committee, to be headed by a former Allahabad High Court judge, for monitoring the rejuvenation project of Ganga from Haridwar to Unnao in Uttar Pradesh.
• Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court will nominate a former judge of Allahabad High Court to head the committee.
5. Goa Tourism’s App-Based Taxi Service Flagged Off
• Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar and Tourism Minister Manohar Ajgaonkar flagged off the Goa Tourism Development Corporation’s app-based taxi service called ‘GOAMILES’ in Panaji.
• It would ensure that commuters are not cheated as there would be transparency in fares for the customers. It will also ensure the increase in earnings of taxi drivers by “two to three” times.
6. PayU, Reliance Money Announced Strategic Partnership For Instant Loan
• PayU India announced entering into a strategic partnership with Reliance Money, leading NBFC brands in India, to offer instant app-based personal loans, via LazyPay. It is an attempt to reach out to the underserved consumers in India.
• The loan amount will start from as low as Rs. 100 and will extend up to Rs. 1,00,000 with a duration varying from 15 days to 24 months.
7. Mobile Wallet Transactions Hit Record Rs14,632 crore in June: RBI Data
• The value of transactions made through mobile wallets touched a record Rs14,632 crore in June, according to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) data. The data showed the rise of 4.2% from Rs14,047 crore in May.
• However, the number of transactions fell around 5% to 309.62 million in June after reaching an all-time high of 325.41 million in May.
8. S Gopakumar Appointed Director and General Manager in UIIC
• Public sector non-life insurance firm United India Insurance Company announced the appointment of S Gopakumar as its Director and General Manager with immediate effect.
• Prior to taking up the new role, Gopakumar was serving GIC Housing Finance Ltd as its Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
9. Germany’s Mario Gomez Retires From International Football
• Veteran German striker Mario Gomez announced his retirement from international football. The 33-year-old, who made his debut for Germany in 2007, scored 31 goals in 78 international appearances.
• The former Bayern Munich star represented his country at the FIFA World Cup in 2010 and 2018 and the Euro Cup in 2008 and 2012.
10. Indian U-20 and U-16 Team Wins Titles in Football
• India’s under-20 team won over Argentina under-20 in the final group stage match of the COTIF Cup held in Valencia’s Els Arcs Stadium. India was playing in the tournament for the first time.
• Also, the under-16 team of India defeated under-16 champions team of Iraq by 1-0 in the West Asian Football Federation Cup in Amman, Jordon.
11. DMK Chief M Karunanidhi Passes Away
• Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) chief and former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi passed away in Chennai. He was the 94-year-old veteran leader of Tamil Nadu.
• He started as a screenwriter in Tamil film industry and was Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for five-term.