Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 8th October 2017
1. Indian Air Force Celebrates the 85th Anniversary: 08th October 2017
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) is celebrating its 85th anniversary on 08th October 2017. The celebrations would be marked by a stellar show in the skies by various aircraft at the Hindon Air Force Station in Ghaziabad. President Ram Nath Kovind has greeted the Indian Air Force on its 85th Anniversary.
- Defence Ministry stated that the air display has commenced with flag bearing skydivers of famous AKASH GANGA Team dropping out of AN-32 aircraft in their colourful canopies.
- The Indian Air Force was officially established on 08th October 1932. Its first ac flight came into being on 01st April 1933.
- Birender Singh Dhanoa is present Air Chief Marshal of Indian Air Force. He assumed the post after Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha retired.
2. World no. 1 Rafael Nadal wins his career’s 75th title:
- World number one Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal defeated Australia’s Nick Kyrgios to clinch the China Open, his career’s 75th title and sixth of the year.
- Nadal won the match with the scoreline of 6-2, 6-1 in 92 minutes. The last time Nadal won more than 5 titles in a calendar year was in 2013.
3. Hamilton wins Japanese GP to extend c’ship lead to 59 points:
- Mercedes’ British Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton won the Japanese Grand Prix on Sunday to extend his lead at the top of the drivers’ championship to 59 points.
- Red Bulls’ Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo finished in second and third positions. Hamilton is on course to win his fourth championship with four races remaining in the season.
4. President launches Mata Amritanandamayi Math Project Jeevamritham in Kerala:
- President Ram Nath Kovind has launched 100 crore rupees Mata Amritanandamayi Math Project “Jeevamritham “to provide the filtration system for cleaning drinking water to 5000 villages across India, in Kollam district in Kerala.
- The President also distributed the certificates to three villages out of 12 villages in the States of Bihar, UP, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh, Chattisgarh, Uttarakhand, Maharashtra and Kerala, which were adopted by the Math, verified as Open Defecation Free by Swatch Bharat Abhiyan.
5. RBI to soon Launch Financial Literacy Drive in 9 States:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is to launch a financial literacy drive in 80 blocks in nine states on the pilot basis to educate people on e-transactions, formal sector borrowings and insurance purchases.
- The pilot project, according to RBI will be commissioned in the 9 states of Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Bihar, Odisha, Karnataka, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh by the 6 NGOs in collaboration with the sponsor Banks.
- The aim of this drive is to inculcate the habit of making a household budget and recording financial transactions, encourage transactions in savings accounts, and active saving by depositing in banks through fixed deposits and recurring deposits.
6. Prasar Bharati launches Online Application System for AIR Auditions:
- Prasar Bharati Chairman A Surya Prakash has launched an online application system for music auditions across all genres for the All India Radio.
- The initiative was launched on the occasion of 64th Akashvani Sangeet Sammelan in New Delhi. It is believed that with the introduction of this facility, the aspirants who want to apply and get themselves graded will have a better experience in terms of accessibility and availability.
7. Haj Committee Recommends Abolishing of Subsidy:
- The government was appointed Committee on Haj Policy has recommended phasing out of subsidy for Haj pilgrims and allowing women devotees above 45 years of age to travel in a group of at least four without a male.
- The Committee presented its report on New Haj policy 2018-22 to Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi in Mumbai.
- In view of the Supreme Court direction, the Ministry had set up the Panel under the Chairmanship of former Secretary Afzal Amanullah to review the existing Haj Policy and to suggest a framework for new Haj policy 2018-22.