Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 8th September 2017
1. International Literacy Day observed today: 8th Sep
- The International Literacy Day (ILD) is being observed on 8th September every year throughout the world to raise public awareness to eradicate illiteracy and create environment in favor of adult education programs.
- Today, a special two-day event has been organized at UNESCO’s Headquarters in Paris with the theme ‘Literacy in a Digital World’.
The International Literacy Day (51st) is being celebrated at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi (India).
- The UNESCO in its 14th Session in November 1966, declared 8th September as the International Literacy Day.
- In the last Census held in 2011, the country has achieved a literacy rate of around 73 percent.
2. Viveck Goenka Elected New PTI Chairman:
- Viveck Goenka, Chairman and Managing Director of the Express Group was elected Chairman of Press Trust of India, the country’s largest news agency.
- Mr. Goenka succeeds Riyad Mathew, who is Senior Assistant Editor and a member of the Manorama management. N. Ravi, former Editor-in-Chief of The Hindu has been elected as the Vice Chairman of PTI. Mr. Ravi succeeds Mr. Goenka as Vice Chairman.
3. PM Modi visits Shwedagon Pagoda in Myanmar:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the 2,500-years-old Shwedagon Pagoda and performed ‘puja’ at the Kalibari Temple located at the west of the Royal Lake in Yangon.
- Shwedagon Pagoda is considered to be the most sacred and impressive Buddhist site for the Myanmarese people.
- Shwedagon Pagoda is covered with hundreds of gold plates and the top of the stupa is encrusted with 4,531 diamonds, the largest of which is a 72-carat diamond.
4. Inder Jit Singh appointed as Chairperson of NACWC:
- Senior IAS officer Inder Jit Singh was given the additional charge of post of Chairperson of National Authority Chemical Weapons Convention (NACWC). Currently, he is serving as Additional Secretary in Cabinet Secretariat. He is IAS officer of 1985-batch from Kerala cadre.
NACWC set up as an office of Cabinet Secretariat to fulfil obligations under Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC). It was established in April 2017 under Chemical Weapons Convention Act, 2000.
5. Hurricane Irma pummels the Turks and Caicos Islands:
- Hurricane Irma has pummelled the Turks and Caicos Islands after leaving a trail of destruction across the Caribbean, killing at least 14 people.
- Hurricane Irma is an extremely powerful tropical cyclone affecting the Leeward Islands and Puerto Rico and threatening Cuba and the South-eastern United States.
6. Airtel Arm Launches ‘GST Advantage’ for SMEs:
- Airtel Business, the B2B arm of telecom major Bharti Airtel, has launched Airtel GST Advantage – a solution designed to enable small businesses and start-ups to file their GST returns “accurately, securely and seamlessly.”
- Launched in partnership with ClearTax, Airtel GST Advantage is being offered free to all existing Airtel Business customers. Airtel GST Advantage offers a three-pronged solution to customers, they can get free and secure access to the GST Network via Clear Tax
7. Amazon’s Largest Fulfilment Center in Hyderabad:
- Amazon opened its largest fulfillment center in India on the outskirts of Hyderabad, near the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Shamshabad.
- The 400,000 sq feet center with close of 2.1 million cubic feet of storage space is the 5th such centre in Telangana. With this, the US major has ramped up its storage capacity to 3.2 million cubic feet in the State alone.
8. Gujarat Govt & Amul sign MoU to save children of Anganwadi from malnutrition:
- Gujarat state Govt. & Amul (Gujarat Milk Marketing Federation) have signed the Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) to save the children of Anganwadi from malnutrition.
- Under the ‘Take Home Ration’, district dairies in cooperation with the Gujarat milk marketing federation will provide nutritive foods to more than 42-lakh children of more than 53 thousand Anganwadis , pregnant-mothers, lactating mothers and young girls.
9. Nestle Sets up First Food Safety Institute in India:
- The new FSSAI CEO Pawan Kumar Agarwal inaugurated the Nestle Food Safety Institute in Manesar, Gurugram. It will provide guidance and training on food safety.
- The FSSAI has been working with Nestle India for setting up the institute at Manesar. While this is the first such institute in India, Nestle already runs a similar Institute each in China and Lausanne, Switzerland.
10. Indian Army to induct women in the military police:
- The Indian Army has finalised plan to induct women in military police. The plan is seen as major step towards breaking gender barriers in force.
- Under this plan 800 women will be inducted initially with yearly intake of 52. The decision to induct women in Corps of Military Police will help in investigating allegations of gender specific crimes. Currently, women are allowed in select areas such as medical, educational, legal, signals and engineering wings of Indian Army.
11. ICICI Lombard Gets SEBI Nod for IPO:
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company has got capital markets regulator SEBI’s go-ahead for its estimated Rs 6,000 crore initial public offer (IPO).
- ICICI Lombard is a joint venture between ICICI Bank and Canada-based Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd.
12. Sathish Kumar & R V Rahul qualify for 2018 Commonwealth Games:
- Indian weightlifters ‘Sivalingam Sathish Kumar’ and ‘Ragala Venkat Rahul’ have qualified for next year’s Commonwealth Games after winning a gold medal each in their respective weight divisions.
- Rahul created new records en-route to his standout total lift of 351 kilogram (156kg in snatch and195 kilograms in clean & jerk).
- Sathish Kumar (Games gold medallist -2014 Commonwealth) lifted 148 kilograms in snatch and 172 kilograms in clean & jerk for a total effort of 320 kilograms in senior men’s 77 kilograms.
- Two Indian women weightlifters ‘S.Nirupama Devi’ and ‘Nikeeta Kale’ also claimed gold medals in 69 kilogram weight division of junior section.