GK Update & Current Affairs: 9th August 2018
1. International Day of The World’s Indigenous Peoples: 9 August
- The International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is observed across the world on August 9 with an aim to strengthen international cooperation for solving problems faced by indigenous peoples in areas such as human rights, the environment, education, health and social development.
- The theme of 2018 International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples was ‘Indigenous peoples’ migration and movement’.
2. Project ‘SWAYAM’ Launched By HRD Ministry
- The Ministry of HRD has embarked on a major and new initiative Project called ‘Study Webs of Active Learning for Young Aspiring Minds’ (SWAYAM), which will provide one integrated platform and portal for online courses. This covers all higher education subjects and skill sector courses.
- The objective is to ensure that every student in the country has access to the best quality higher education at the affordable cost.
3. MoU Signed Between TRIFED And National Medicinal Plant Board
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Ltd. (TRIFED) under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs & National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB), Ministry of AYUSH have signed an MoU together.
- The MoU aims to promote Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (MAPs) forest produced for livelihood development of tribal people by promoting primary level value addition to MAPs produce from forest area at the grassroots level.
4. Khangchendzonga Becomes 11th Biosphere Reserve To be Included in WNBR
- The Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve (in Sikkim) has become the 11th Biosphere Reserve from India that has been included in the UNESCO designated World Network of Biosphere Reserves (WNBR). T
- The decision to include Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve in WNBR was taken at the 30th Session of International Coordinating Council (ICC) of Man and Biosphere (MAB) Programme of UNESCO held at Palembang, Indonesia.
5. Commerce & Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu Launches Mobile App ‘Niryat Mitra’
- Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Aviation Suresh Prabhu launched ‘Niryat Mitra’ – mobile App in New Delhi. The app developed by the Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) is available both on Android and on IOS platforms.
- It provides wide range of information required to undertake international trade right from the policy provisions for export and import, applicable GST rate, available export incentives, tariff, preferential tariff, market access requirements – SPS and TBT measures.
6. RBI to pay Rs 50,000 crore dividend to govt for FY18
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will transfer Rs50,000 crore of its surplus money to the government, the highest since 2015-16, in a partial relief for the latter struggling to replenish public sector banks.
- The transfer gives the government more elbow room to infuse capital into the banks it owns. In October 2017, the government had said it would infuse Rs2.11 trillion into public sector banks through a mix of recapitalization bonds (Rs1.35 trillion), direct infusion from budgetary allocations (Rs18,000 crore) and market borrowing (Rs58,000 crore).
7. Harivansh Narayan Singh Elected Deputy Chairperson of Rajya Sabha
- NDA candidate Harivansh Narayan Singh was elected the Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman with 125 votes. The Opposition candidate BK Hariprasad managed to get 105 votes.
- Mr Singh is an MP from the Janata Dal (United) and a Parliamentarian from Bihar and a former journalist.
8. Ivan Duque Sworn In As Colombia’s Next President
- Ivan Duque was sworn in as the newly elected President of Colombia. He pledged to unite the country and improve economic growth.
- He pledged changes to tackle corruption and invigorate the economy and vowed to change the peace deal with the FARC rebel group.
9. Indian-American Avi Goel Wins International Geography Bee World Championship
- Indian-American high school student Avi Goel has won the world championship at the International Geography Bee’s junior varsity division which was held in Berlin, Germany. 14-year old Avi is a tenth grader at Silver Creek High School in Evergreen, San Jose, California.
- He won a gold medal in seven out of the 10 medal events, and a silver medal in two of the events, topping the overall medals table.