Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 9th October 2017
1. Richard Thaler wins 2017 Nobel prize in economics:
- The Nobel economics prize 2017 has been awarded to Richard Thaler (72-years)of the University of Chicago for his contributions to behavioural economics.
- Thaler is an American economist & the Ralph and Dorothy Keller Distinguished Service Professor of Behavioral Science and Economics at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
- The 9-million-kronor (1.1 million US Dollars) prize was awarded to the academic for his understanding the psychology of economics.
- Behavioural economics, a research field in which insights from psychological research are applied to economic decision making.
2. Rajesh Nath Gets Germany’s Highest Civilian Honour:
- Rajesh Nath, Managing Director of VDMA India, has been conferred the ‘Cross of the Order of Merit’, the highest civilian honour awarded to individuals for their services to Germany.
- The award, also known as Bundesverdienstkreuz or Federal Cross of Merit was instituted in 1951 and is Germany’s only honour that is awarded to both Germans and foreigners for achievements in the economic, social, political or intellectual realms.
3. World Post Day is being observed today:
- World Post Day is celebrated each year on 9th October, the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in the Swiss Capital, Bern.
- It was declared World Post Day by the UPU Congress held in Tokyo, Japan in 1969.
Since then, countries around the world participate annually in the celebrations.
4. Prime Minister Launched Intensified Mission Indradhanush:
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has launched the Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) at Vadnagar in Gujarat.
- Through this program, Government of India aims to reach each and every child under two years of age and all those pregnant women who have been left uncovered under the routine immunisation program. IMI is supported by 11 other ministries and departments.
5. India’s First Portal Dedicated to Para-Sports Launched:
- In a bid to create awareness about para-sports and provide a platform to para sportspersons to narrate their stories of triumph and adversity, “thenationspride.com”, the country’s first portal dedicated to para-sports was launched.
- thenationspride.com is a non-profit initiative, helmed by 17-year-old Mumbai student and sports enthusiast, Saachi Munot.
6. International Conference on Dialogue of Civilizations – IV:
- The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), Ministry of Culture is hosting an international conference on “Dialogue of Civilizations – IV” from 8th to 15th October 2017 at Delhi, Gandhinagar and Dholavira. This conference is fourth in this series of ‘dialogues’ initiated by National Geographic Society in 2013.
- The objective of the conference is to encourage scholarly and public discourse about the five ancient, literate civilizations of the world, i.e. Egypt, Mesopotamia, South Asia, China and Mesoamerica.
- The first conference of this series was inaugurated in Guatemala in 2013 followed by Turkey in 2014 and China in 2015.
Prof. B.B. Lal is a Padma Bhushan awardee on ‘Harappan Civilization’, which introduced the earliest civilization of South Asia to the scholars working on other ancient civilizations.
7. GoM Set Up to Review Composition Scheme:
- A group of ministers (GoM) has been set up under Assam Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma to make the composition scheme more attractive and also revisit GST rates on restaurants. The GST Council, chaired by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had constituted the GoM.
- With only 15.50 lakh businesses out of the total 98 lakh registered under the goods and services tax (GST) regime opting for the composition scheme, the GST Council has decided to set up the GoM to examine measures to make it more attractive.
8. PNB MetLife Appoints Ashish Srivastava as MD & CEO:
- PNB MetLife India Insurance Company Ltd (PNB MetLife), a life insurer, has appointed Ashish Srivastava as a new Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of the company.
- Prior to this elevation, Srivastava was an interim CEO at PNB MetLife. Srivastava joined PNB MetLife in 2013 as the Head of HR for the India business.
9. Samiya wins gold at U-15 Asian Junior Championship:
- Indian shuttler Samiya Imad Farooqui clinched the gold medal at the Under-15 women’s singles competition at the Asian Junior Championship in Yangon, Myanmar. She defeated Indonesia’s Widjaja Stephani 15-21, 21-17, 21-19.
- Earlier, P V Sindhu had won the gold in U-19 Asia Junior championship in 2012 at Gimcheon, South Korea.
10. Gurusaidutt wins Bulgarian International:
- Commonwealth Games bronze medallist RMV Gurusaidutt has won the men’s singles title at the Bulgarian International Future Series tournament.
- Gurusaidutt defeated Muhammed Ali Kurt 21- 17, 21-16.
11. India’s Anupama Ramachandran wins World Open U-16 Snooker Championship:
- Anupama Ramachandran (India) has won the World Open Under-16 Snooker Championship title at St. Petersburg in Russia.
- In the Girls category, she defeated top seed Keerthana Pandian 3-1.In boy category, Dylan Emery of Wales has claimed the title.
- Total 73 cueists from across the world have participated in this championship.