GK Update & Current Affairs: 1st August 2018
1. UN E-Government Index: India Ranks 96th, Denmark Tops
- India has jumped 22 places to 96th rank to break into the top 100 of the United Nation’s E-Government Development Index (EGDI) 2018. Denmark, with an index value of 0.9150, topped the 2018 E-Government Development Survey.
- The E-Government survey is released by the United Nations in every two years. The 2018 edition was titled as ‘Gearing E-Government to Support Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies’. India, which was ranked 118 in 2014, jumped 11 places to be ranked 96 in 2018.
- Top 3 countries are: Denmark, Australia & Republic of Korea.
2. Rajasthan first State to implement biofuel policy
- Rajasthan became first state in the country to implement National Policy on Biofuels unveiled by Union Government in May 2018. Its implementation was approved by high-power Biofuel Authority. It was also decided that dtate Government will release Biofuel Rules, 2018.
- Under this policy, State Government will lay emphasis on increasing production of oilseeds and establish Centre for Excellence in Udaipur to promote research in fields of alternative fuels and energy resources.
- Biodiesel plant of capacity of eight tonnes per day already has been installed in State with financial assistance of Indian Railways.
3. Health Ministry Signs MoU With Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
- National Health Agency (NHA) under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, the apex body for the implementation of Ayushman Bharat-National Health Protection Mission (AB-NHPM), and Common Service Centres (CSC) scheme under the Digital India Programme, have signed an MoU to provide information and eligibility validation services to beneficiaries, especially in remote areas.
- J P Nadda, Minister of Health and Family Welfare and Ravi Shankar Prasad, Union Minister for Law and Justice & Information Technology presided over the MoU signing ceremony.
4. E-Aksharayan, Desktop Software Launched By IT Ministry
- The IT ministry launched a desktop software e-Aksharayan in a conference for Indian Languages Technology Industry ‘Bhashantara’, in New Delhi. The objective is to enable editing and printing of text in scanned documents.
- The software e-Aksharayan was launched in 7 Indian languages. They are namely: Hindi, Bangla, Malayalam, Gurmukhi, Tamil, Kannada & Assamese.
5. Common Service Centers to help in implementation of Ayushman Bharat
- Common Service Center (CSC) and National Health Accounts (NHA) signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to implement the Ayushman Bharat scheme through 3 lakh Common Service Centers (CSCs) across the country.
- Ayushman Bharat-National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS) aims cover over 10 crore poor vulnerable families (approximately 50 crore beneficiaries) providing coverage of up to Rs. 5 lakh (per family per year) for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization.
- Beneficiaries of Ayushman Bharat can visit nearby CSCs across India to get the benefit of this scheme.
6. BEML And HEC Sign Pact to Manufacture Mining Equipment
- Bharat Earth Movers Ltd (BEML) and Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC) have signed pact for making mining equipment. The MoU will result into additional Rs 150-200 crore revenue for both PSUs.
- It will reduce working capital and create capability for high capacity equipment. The mining products could be co-branded and will come under ‘Make in India’ initiative.
7. RBI Hikes Repo Rate By 25 bps to 6.5%, Raises Inflation Projection
- In 3rd Bi-monthly Policy Statement, the Reserve bank of India’s (RBI’s) monetary policy committee (MPC) raised policy rates by 25 basis points to 6.5% on account of inflationary pressures arising due to hike in minimum support price.
- The committee has increased the policy repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) by 25 basis points to 6.5%. Consequently, the reverse repo rate under the LAF stands adjusted to 6.25%, and the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate to 6.75%.
- RBI also raised the average inflation projection for the second half of the year to 4.8% from 4.7% in June. The central bank expects inflation to edge higher to 5% in the first quarter of next fiscal year. The government has fixed the MSP at 150% of the cost of production of all kharif crops.
8. Gopalkrishna Gandhi to Get 24th Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award
- Gopalkrishna Gandhi has been chosen for the 24th Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award for his contribution in promoting communal harmony, peace and goodwill. Gopalkrishna Gandhi is a former governor of West Bengal.
- He will be presented with this award at an event on 20th August 2018 at Jawahar Bhawan in Delhi. The award contains a citation and a cash prize of Rs 10 lakh. The award is presented on the birthday anniversary of former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
9. Dustin Johnson Won 2018 RBC Canadian Open Golf Title
- Dustin Johnson won the 2018 RBC Canadian Open at the Glen Abbey Golf Club in Oakville in Canada. He is currently in world number one position.
- Now he has become the first player after Tiger Woods (2005-09) with at least three wins in three consecutive seasons. Dustin Johnson was awarded $1,116,000 for the win.
10. Neeraj Chopra Wins Gold Medal at Savo Games in Finland
- Indian javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra won a gold medal in the Savo Games in Lapinlahti, Finland. Neeraj Chopra made a throw of 85.69 metres and won the gold medal.
- Chao-Tsun Cheng of Chinese Taipei made a throw of 82.52m and won a silver medal. Chao-Tsun Cheng is the only Asian to have thrown the javelin to a distance more than 90m.