GK Update & Current Affairs: 22nd July 2018
1. Advanced Weather Forecasting System Unveiled In New Delhi:
- Minister for Science and Technology Harsh Vardhan has unveiled the first of a kind Air Quality and Weather Forecast System, SAFAR at Chandni Chowk in New Delhi.
- The giant true colour LED display will give real-time air quality index on the 24×7 basis with colour coding along with 72-hour advance forecast.
- The new system can track UV-Index, PM1, Mercury and Black carbon in real time and will provide health advisory and related precaution.
2. Rajnath Singh Launches The Student Police Cadet (SPC) Programme:
- The Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh launched the Student Police Cadet (SPC) programme for nationwide implementation at a ceremony in Gurugram, Haryana.
- According to Home Minister, SPC would lead to a silent revolution over the years by focusing on character building by imparting moral values to budding minds.
- Earlier the Home Minister launched the theme song and training manual of SPC prepared by the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D).
3. NABARD launches South East Asia’s 1st ever Centre for Climate Change in Lucknow:
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has launched Centre for Climate Change in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. It is first of its kind centre in South East Asia. It aims at accelerating concerted climate action by various stakeholders in government, private, financial and non -government sectors.
- The centre will help NABARD in enhancing its capacity building efforts manifold. It will extend professional support to stakeholders for designing climate related projects and take up collaborative studies and action research projects in the area.
4. India gets first Asian Jr C’ship men’s gold winner in 53 yrs:
- Indian shuttler Lakshya Sen became the first men’s singles player from India in 53 years to win the gold medal at the Asian Junior Badminton Championships.
- The 16-year-old beat world number one Kunlavut Vitidsarn to become only the third Indian after Gautam Thakkar and PV Sindhu to bag a gold medal at the Asian Junior Championships.
5. Ambani brothers, Priyanka in world’s top 500 entertainment leaders:
- India’s richest person Mukesh Ambani, his brother Anil Ambani, Priyanka Chopra and Salman Khan have featured on Variety Magazine’s list of 500 most influential business leaders in the entertainment industry.
- Filmmakers Karan Johar, Aditya Chopra and Ekta Kapoor are among the 12 Indians on the list. World’s richest person Jeff Bezos and Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg also featured on the list.