GK Update & Current Affairs: 25th July 2018
1. 2nd Meeting of National Council on India’s Nutrition Challenges Held In New Delhi:
- Ministry of Women and Child Development had organized the 2nd meeting of National Council on India’s Nutrition Challenges under POSHAN Abhiyaan in New Dehli under the Chairmanship of Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar, NITI Aayog.
- It was declared that the month of September will be celebrated as National Nutrition Month every year.
2. Indian Air Force To Participates In Australia’s ‘Pitch Black Exercise’:
- An Indian Air Force contingent comprising of four Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft landed at Darwin Air Force Base, Australia for participating in the Exercise Pitch Black-2018.
- This is the first time that an Indian Air Force contingent is participating in this multinational air exercise in Australia.
3. 10th BRICS Summit 2018 Begins In Johannesburg:
- The 10th edition of BRICS Summit has begun in Johannesburg, South Africa. It is a 3-day long summit and will be attended by all the BRICS leaders.
- The theme for this summit is ‘BRICS in Africa: Collaboration for inclusive growth and shared prosperity in the 4th Industrial Revolution’. Modi is likely to meet Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the summit.
4. WCD Ministry Launches ‘Childline1098’ Contest:
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development has launched a contest, #Childline1098, inviting people to share images of the Childline 1098 logo that they spot at unique locations and send it with a tagline, to mark World Day against Trafficking in Persons on July 30.
- CHILDLINE is India’s first 24-hour, free, emergency phone service for children in need of aid and assistance. At present, it is operational at 450 locations.
5. PM Modi 3 Nation Visit: Signed 4 Agreements With Uganda:
- India and Uganda signed four MoUs. The agreements were signed following the delegation-level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni in Kampala.
Here are the MoUs signed between India and Uganda:
1. MoU on Defence Cooperation.
2. MoU on Visa exemption for Diplomatic and official passport holders.
3. MoU on Cultural Exchange Programme.
4. MoU on Material Testing Laboratory.
6. Tata AIA Appoints Rishi Srivastava as CEO and MD:
- Tata AIA Life has recently announced that its board has appointed Rishi Srivastava as the new chief executive officer and managing director, subject to regulatory approval from IRDAI.
- Srivastava will take over from current chief executive officer Naveen Tahilyani who takes over as chief executive officer, group partnership distribution, AIA Group, Hong Kong.
7. Michael Ondaatje Named in Man Booker Prize Long List:
- Canadian author Michael Ondaatje has again made the Man Booker Prize list with his latest novel “Warlight,” weeks after his book “The English Patient” was named the best work of fiction from the last five decades of the literary prize.
- Organizers announced the 13 books in the long list for the prestigious award, chosen from 171 submissions this year, the highest number of titles that have been put forward in the prize’s 50-year history.