GK Update & Current Affairs: 26th July 2018
1. India Celebrates 19th Anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas:
- India on July 26 celebrated the 19th anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas to mark the success of ‘Operation Vijay’ and to remember the supreme sacrifice of the Indian soldiers who lost their lives during the 1999 India-Pakistan Kargil War.
- The Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman paid homage to the martyrs on Kargil Vijay Diwas at Amar Jawan Jyoti in New Delhi.
- Armed Forces personnel and families of soldiers who lost their lives in 1999 Kargil War paid their tributes at the Dras War Memorial in Jammu and Kashmir to commemorate the historic win. Operation Safed Sagar was successfully launched by Indian Air Force during Kargil war.
2. KTDC Launches Country’s 1st State-Run All-Woman Hotel
- The hotel named ‘Hostess’ was launched by Kerala Tourism minister Kadakampally Surendran. A flagship project of the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC). The hotel will come up within six months at the KTDC complex.
- Work on India’s public sector hotel run entirely by women for women is claimed to be the first such in the country.
3. Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog & MyGov Launches ‘Innovate India Platform’
- R Ramanan, Mission Director, Atal Innovation Mission and Arvind Gupta CEO, MyGov launched the “#InnovateIndia Platform”, a collaboration between the Atal Innovation Mission and MyGov, a citizen-centric platform of the Government of India.
- The #InnovateIndia MyGov-AIM portal creates the innovations platform for registering both grassroots and deep-tech innovators at a national level.
4. Odisha Government Launches ‘Green Mahanadi Mission’
- The Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik launched the ‘Green Mahanadi Mission’. The CM launched the mission by planting a sapling on the bank of river Mahanadi during his visit to Boudh and Subarnapur districts in western Odisha.
- The main objective of the mission is to stop soil erosion on river banks and recharge the groundwater reserve.
5. Invest India and Business France Sign MoU to Promote Investment
- Invest India and Business France have signed an MoU to promote investment facilitation and cooperation between startups of India and France.
- The goal will be to facilitate direct foreign investment by providing practical investment information to enterprises and support the companies.
6. Thaawarchand Gehlot Attends Global Disability Summit 2018 In London
- Thaawarchand Gehlot, Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment attended the Global Disability Summit held in London, UK. The motto of the Conference was to firm up the commitments of the country leaders towards the cause of persons with disabilities.
- The Global leaders expressed their commitments towards elimination stigma and discrimination, promoting inclusive education, economic empowerment, technology and innovation in assistive devices, data desegregation etc.
7. Vodafone Idea Gets Final Government Approval
- The Department of Telecom (DoT) has given final approval to the merger of Vodafone India and Idea Cellular. The nod for Vodafone Idea came days after Idea Cellular and Vodafone India jointly paid Rs. 7,268.78 crore ‘under protest’ to the DoT.
- The combination will be known as Vodafone Idea. It will create India’s largest mobile-phone company and help the firms compete with billionaire Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd.
8. Oxigen Announces A Strategic Partnership With Fincare Small Finance Bank
- At an event, Oxigen and Fincare Small Finance Bank signed an agreement to roll out the Branchless Banking services, using Oxigen’s flagship Point of Sale device called the Oxigen Micro ATM Super PoS. The event graced by Brand Ambassador Grand Master Viswanathan Anand.
- Oxigen has been marching forward on its financial inclusion agenda to offer Branchless banking services to India’s rural unbanked/underbanked segments.
9. Bharti Infratel, Indus Tower Merger Deal Gets SEBI Nod
- Mobile tower arm of telecom major Bharti Airtel, Infratel announced that it has received clearance from SEBI for its merger with Indus Towers.
- It will now approach the National Company Law Tribunal for its approval. The combined company will own 100% of Indus Towers jointly owned by Bharti Infratel (42% holding), Vodafone (42%), Idea Group (11.15%) and Providence (4.85%).
10. Ramachandra Guha Pens Book Titled ‘Gandhi: The Years That Changed The World (1914-1948)’
- Renowned historian and author of several bestselling books Ramachandra Guha has penned a new book titled “Gandhi: The years that changed the world (1914-1948)” on the father of the nation.
- Billed as the most definitive new biography of Gandhi, the upcoming book will be published by Penguin Random House India and will be released in September 2018.
11. Veteran Sports Journalist Swapan Sarkar Passes Away
- Veteran sports journalist Swapan Sarkar passed away due to diabetic complications. He was 67 years old.
- Sarkar worked for a number of dailies and was also the Delhi sports correspondent of Ananda Bazaar Patrika (ABP) from mid-1990’s.