GK Update & Current Affairs: 27th July 2018
1. Ramon Magsaysay Award 2018: 2 Indians Bharat Vatwani and Sonam Wangchuk awarded
- Two Indians, Bharat Vatwani (for Restoring Health & Dignity to troubled lives) and Sonam Wangchuk (for Harnessing nature, culture & education) made the country proud as their names figured in the list of 2018 Ramon Magsaysay Award winners.
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award is an annual award established to perpetuate former Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay’s example of integrity in governance, courageous service to the people, and pragmatic idealism within a democratic society.
- Here is the Complete list of winners of the Ramon Magsaysay Award 2018
1. Bharat Vatwani (India)
2. Sonam Wangchuk (India)
3. Youk Chhang (Cambodia)
4. Maria de Lourdes Martins Cruz (East Timor)
5. Howard Dee (Philippines)
6. Vo Thi Hoang Yen (Vietnam)
2. IRDAI Forms Panel to Review 3rd Party Motor Cover Costs
- Insurance regulator Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has constituted a 16-member committee to examine motor third party insurance pricing aspects and make recommendations on the premium rates for 2019-20.
- IRDAI Member P.J. Joseph has been appointed as the Chairman of the committee. This is for the first time IRDAI has formed such a committee.
3. 6th India-UK Science & Innovation Council Meeting Held in New Delhi
- The 6th India-UK Science & Innovation Council (SIC) meeting held in New Delhi discussed a range of issues on S&T cooperation between the two countries.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Minister of Science & Technology, Earth Sciences & Environment, Forests and Climate Change, India and Mr. Sam Gyimah, Minister for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation, UK led the Indian and UK delegations respectively.
4. Odisha CM Inaugurates Rs 300 crore Irrigation Dam Project
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the Rs 300 crore Rukura Medium Irrigation Dam project in Sundargarh district.
- This project will irrigate 5,800 hectares of the agricultural field. Mr Patnaik stated that his promises to provide irrigation to an additional 10 lakh hectare of land ahead of 2014 elections, will be fulfilled by 2019.
5. Parliament Passes Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill 2018
- The Parliament approved a legislation to help the government bring back fugitives involved in white-collar crimes to stand trial in India.
- The fugitive Economic Offenders Bill, 2018 will become law after the President’s assent and will empower the government to seize both local and overseas assets of alleged offenders, such as Vijay Mallya, Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi.
- This will help the government confiscate properties of fugitives even before they are convicted. The bill also provides for confiscation of benami properties. ED will be the apex agency to implement the law.
6. Indian Women’s Compound Archery Team Reaches World Rank 1
- Indian women’s compound archery team created history by becoming the world rank one side in the category. The team is six points ahead of the Chinese Taipei team.
- With the contribution from each member, the women’s compound archery team jumped to the top spot with 342.6 points, with the Chinese Taipei team standing second with a difference of six points.
7. 4 Indian-Origin Names In List of Fortune’s 40 Young Influential People
- Four persons of India-origin, including three women, have been named by Fortune among 40 of the most influential and inspiring young people in business under the age of 40.
- Instagram Cofounder and CEO Kevin Systrom and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, both 34, are tied for first place on the Fortune ’40 Under 40′ list.
The 4 people (with Rank) from India-Origin in the list are-
1. Dhivya Suryadevara (4th), CFO of General Motors
2. Anjali Sud (14th), CEO of Vimeo
3. Baiju Bhatt (24th), Cofounder and Co-CEO of Robinhood
4. Anu Duggal (32nd), founding partner of Female Founders Fund.
8. Karnataka Tops In Renewable Energy: IEEFA Report
- According to the US-based Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) report, Karnataka is the new national leader in renewable energy generation. It has surpassed Tamil Nadu that had for quite some time been India’s best renewable market.
- Karnataka has a sum of 12.3 gigawatts (GW) of renewable capacity installed till March 2018. IEEFA’s report was titled as “Karnataka’s Electricity Sector Transformation”
9. BRICS Summit 2018 Concludes: Johannesburg Declaration Adopted
- The heads of state and government of all five BRICS nations including Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa convened for the 10th BRICS Summit in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- The theme of BRICS Summit 2018 was ‘BRICS in Africa: Collaboration for inclusive growth and shared prosperity in the 4th Industrial Revolution’.
- The summit saw the BRICS leaders come together and discuss various international and regional issues of common concern and adopted the ‘Johannesburg Declaration’ by consensus.
- The declaration comes as the United States and China remain deadlocked in a trade war over tariffs.
10. West Bengal Assembly passes resolution to rename state as Bangla:
- West Bengal state assembly dominated by Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress Government has unanimously passed resolution to change state’s name to ‘Bangla’ in all three languages – Bengali, Hindi and English. The name change will only become official when resolution gets approval from Union Home Ministry and Parliament passes Bill.
- The main reason cited by State Government for changing name of West Bengal to Bangla is that whenever there is meeting of all states, West Bengal figures at bottom of the list, as it is prepared according to alphabetical order.
- With change in its Bangla, it will appear (or leapfrog) to fourth place after Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh and Assam in list of states in alphabetical order.
11. HCL Technologies displaces Wipro as India’s third largest IT services firm
- HCL Technologies Ltd surpassed Wipro Ltd to become India’s third-biggest software services firm in the three months, marking the first change in the pecking order of the country’s $167 billion information technology (IT) outsourcing industry in six years.
- Noida-based HCL Technologies announced that its dollar revenue increased 0.8% to $2.05 billion in the quarter ended 30 June from the preceding three months. Bengaluru-based Wipro’s dollar revenue declined 1.7% sequentially to $2.03 billion in the first quarter.
12. World’s oldest person aged 117 dies days after record confirmed
- Chiyo Miyako, a 117-year-old Japanese woman, died on July 22, days after her applications for the titles of ‘oldest person living’ and ‘oldest person living (female)’ were approved.
- Chiyo was born in Wakayama in Kansai region of Japan on May 2, 1901, and was 117 years 81 days old when she died. The new record-holder is yet to be confirmed.