Team Gyantaxi presents the Daily GK Update for 11th January 2019. In this Daily GK Update, we have covered all the important National and International current affairs. We have also included Awards and Honours, Appointments, Agreements, Obituaries, Science and Technology, Sports etc. We also provide current affairs quiz based on Daily GK Updates regularly. Once you are done with reading, we request you to attempt the Current Affairs Quiz and the link is provided below. Enjoy reading the Daily GK Update for 11th January 2019.
Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 11th January 2019
1. India’s Longest Single Lane Steel Cable Bridge Opened in Arunachal Pradesh
- India’s longest 300-meter single lane steel cable suspension bridge was inaugurated by Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu. He also laid the foundation stone for a district secretariat building.
- The bridge across the Siang river at Yingkiong in Upper Siang district has been named Byorung Bridge. It is built at a cost of ₹48.43-crore provided by the DONER (Department for Development of North Eastern Region) Ministry. The Bridge will reduce the distance from Yinkiong to Tuting by almost 40 km.
2. Maduro Sworn In As Venezuela President for 2nd Term
- Nicolás Maduro was sworn in for a second term as Venezuela’s President amid the economic and humanitarian crisis faced by the Latin American country.
- Maduro was re-elected last year. The US, EU and 13 other countries have stated that they would not recognise Maduro’s Presidency.
3. Government launches National Clean Air Programme
- The government launched National Clean Air Programme, a time-bound national level strategy to tackle increasing air pollution.
- The NCAP will be a mid-term, five-year action plan with 2019 as the first year. The main aim of the programme would be 20-30% reduction of PM2.5 and PM10 concentration by 2024.
- The programme would take 2017 as the base year for the comparison of concentration. The programme may be further extended to a longer time horizon after a mid-term review of the outcomes.
4. IWF President Named As Chef de Mission for Tokyo Olympics
- President of the Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWF), Birendra Prasad Baishya, has been named Chef de Mission for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- It is for the first time that the Weightlifting has been accorded with the honor of Chef de Mission for the Olympics. Baishya is also one of the Indian Olympic Association Vice Presidents.
5. West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee pulls out from Modi’s Ayushman Bharat
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday called off her sixmonth association with the national health insurance scheme over Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s “dirty politics” through government schemes.
- The Bengal government had in July 2018 signed an agreement with the Centre to implement the health cover scheme under the joint banner Ayushman Bharat-Swasthya Sathi.
6. India, Japan bilateral currency swap gets Cabinet nod
- The Union Cabinet on Thursday gave its nod to the $75-billion bilateral currency swap arrangement between India and Japan.
- The arrangement is expected to bring stability to foreign exchange and capital markets in India. It would also further strengthen and widen the depth and diversity of economic cooperation between the two countries.
- The Union Cabinet also gave its approval for the MoU between India and Japan on development of ‘advanced model single window’ to facilitate investments into India.
7. World Economic Forum recognises Tata Steel’s Netherlands plant as ‘factory of the future’
- The World Economic Forum on Thursday announced that Tata Steel’s plant at IJmuiden in the Netherlands has been inducted into its prestigious community, a distinction awarded to manufacturing facilities which are seen as leaders in technologies of the ‘Fourth Industrial Revolution’.
- Assessing more than 1,000 factories in 2018, the WEF recognised Tata Steel’s IJmuiden plant and six others as ‘Manufacturing Lighthouses’ – state-of-the-art production facilities which successfully adopt and integrate the cutting-edge technologies of the future and drive financial and operational impact.
8. NIC Command and Control Centre to boost communication infra
- The National Informatics Centre (NIC)’s Command and Control Centre (CCC) and its Centre for Excellence in Artificial Intelligence was inaugurated here on Thursday by Minister for Electronics and IT (MeitY) Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- The NIC’s Command and Control Centre is the first of its kind in the government and will increase the agility of NIC’s nationwide information and communication technology (ICT) infrastructure, a MeitY statement said.
9. Centre, six states sign agreement for Renukaji Dam Multipurpose Project
- An agreement for Renukaji Dam Multipurpose Project was signed in New Delhi on Friday among the States of Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand in the presence of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Minister Nitin Gadkari.
- Under the agreement, three storage projects are proposed to be constructed on the river Yamuna and two of its tributaries – Tons and Giri in the hilly regions of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh.
10. ‘National Consultation on Child Protection’ Held in New Delhi
- The First ‘National Consultation on Child Protection’ for 2019 was held at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi under the Chairmanship of the Secretary, Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- The meeting was organized to follow up on the exercise of monitoring of the CCIs by States/UTs, to deliberate upon various aspects of child protection and to take stock of the efforts made by States/UTs regarding improvements in the Child Care Institutions.
11. 29th Indian Paint Conference 2019 Started in Agra
- The Indian Paint Association (IPA), the apex body of the country’s paint industry announced that the 29th biennial Indian Paint Conference started in Agra, Uttar Pradesh.
- The theme of the Conference is ‘Paints Pe Charcha – Naye Aayaam’. This is the largest trade show of the estimated INR 500 billion (50,000 Crore) Indian Paints & Coatings industry.
12. 25th Edition of Partnership Summit Held in Mumbai
- The 25th edition of Partnership Summit 2019, a global platform for dialogue, debate, deliberation and engagement among Indian and global leaders on economic policy and growth trends in India was held in Mumbai.
- The two-day event was inaugurated by the Vice President of India, M Venkaiah Naidu. The Summit was organized by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, State Government of Maharashtra and Confederation of Indian Industry.
13. Centre launches 5-yr Plan To Combat Pollution In 102 cities
- The Environment Ministry launched the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) aimed at reducing toxic particulate matter in 102 Indian cities by 2024.
- The NCAP will be a mid-term, five-year plan with 2019 as the first year, while 2017 will be the base year for comparison of concentration. An amount of INR300 crore has been sanctioned for this purpose.
14. Mary Kom Attains No. 1 Position in AIBA Rankings
- M C Mary Kom has attained number one position in the International Boxing Association’s (AIBA) latest world rankings. She became the most successful boxer in world championships’ history when she claimed the 48kg category top honors in Delhi in November 2018.
- In the 51kg category list, Pinki Jangra is placed eighth. Asian silver-medallist Manisha Maun is placed eighth in the 54kg category. In the 57kg division, former world silver-medallist Sonia Lather was placed at the second spot.
15. Harendra Singh Discontinued as Indian Men’s Hockey Team Coach
- Indian men’s hockey coach Harendra Singh was removed from the position and offered the task of helming the junior squad by the national federation. Harendra Singh was brought in as men’s coach in May 2018 after Sjoerd Marijne was moved back to the women’s camp.
- Hockey India stated that it will be inviting applications for the position of chief coach and in the interim, the team will be overseen by Hockey India High-Performance Director David John and current Analytical Coach, Chris Ciriello.