GK Update & Current Affairs: 11th October 2018
1. Cabinet Approves Merger of NCVT And NSDA To Establish NCVET
- The Union Cabinet has approved the merger of the existing regulatory institutions in the skills space – National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) and the National Skill Development Agency (NSDA) into the National Council for Vocational Education and Training (NCVET).
- NCVET will regulate the functioning of entities engaged in vocational education and training, both long-term and short-term and establish minimum standards for the functioning of such entities.
2. IIT-Madras Signs MoU With Tamil Nadu e-Governance Agency
- IIT-Madras will collaborate with Tamil Nadu e-Governance Agency (TNeGA) to enhance data-driven governance. Through this engagement, the Robert Bosch Centre for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (RBC DSAI ) at IIT-Madras has agreed to support the State government on various data science and ICT-related challenges.
- The collaboration is expected to contribute towards various aspects of governance, including (but not limited to) education, healthcare, and agriculture, says a press release from IIT-Madras.
3. Severe Cyclonic Storm ‘TITLI’ Hits West-Central Bay of Bengal
- The Severe Cyclonic Storm ‘TITLI’ over the west-central Bay of Bengal moved northwards with a speed of about 14 kmph over Westcentral Bay of Bengal near latitude 16.5°N and longitude 85.8°E, about 320 km south-southeast of Gopalpur (Odisha) and 270 km southeast of Kalingapatnam (Andhra Pradesh).
4. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman In France On 3-Day Visit
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has left for Paris on a three-day visit to France. Ms Sitharaman will hold wide-ranging talks with her French counterpart Florence Parly on ways to deepen strategic cooperation between the two countries.
- During the visit of French President Emmanuel Macron, the two countries decided to expand strategic ties and deepen counter-terror cooperation.
5. Sushma Swaraj Participates In 17th CHG Meeting Of SCO In Tajikistan
- External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj participated in the 17th Council of Heads of Government, CHG, meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization to be held in Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
- Last year, CHG meeting was held in Sochi, Russia and was also attended by EAM. The SCO CHG meeting is a forum that enables India to engage with SCO member countries and Observer states of Afghanistan, Belarus, Iran and Mongolia.
6. International Day Of The Girl Child: 11 October
- Since 2012, 11 October has been marked as the International Day of the Girl. The theme for International Day of the Girl Child 2018 is ‘With Her: A Skilled Girl Force’.
- The day aims to highlight and address the needs and challenges girls face, while promoting girls’ empowerment and the fulfillment of their human rights.
7. Rakesh Sharma Takes Charge As MD & CEO Of IDBI Bank
- State-run IDBI Bank has announced that Rakesh Sharma has taken charge as the managing director and chief executive officer of the bank. He has replaced B Sriram.
- Mr Sharma has been appointed for the period of six months. He retired from Canara Bank as the MD and CEO after serving for a period of three years.
8. Mahesh Reddy Takes Over As PHDCCI Secretary-General
- PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PHDCCI) has announced that Mahesh Y Reddy has taken over as its Secretary General with immediate effect.
- He holds 28 years of experience in national level trade, infrastructure and industry bodies in various capacities, the chamber said in a statement.
9. Pravin Srivastava Appointed India’s 3rd Chief Statistician
- The government has appointed 58-year-old Pravin Srivastava, a senior officer with the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI), as the Chief Statistician of India (CSI).
- Srivastava’s tenure will be till August 31, 2020.
10. Tushar Mehta Appointed Solicitor General of India
- Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta has been appointed as the new Solicitor General of India. The senior lawyer will assume the office of the Solicitor General till June 30, 2020.
- The post had been lying vacant since October 2017 when the then Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar had resigned. Solicitor General is the second highest ranking law officer of the government after the Attorney General.
11. Veena Sendre Crowned India’s 1st Miss Trans Queen
- Veena Sendre from Chhattisgarh has been chosen as India’s first ‘Miss Trans Queen’.
- Veena defeated Namita Ammu of Tamil Nadu to claim the title at the national-level beauty contest organised in Mumbai. Sendre, a former Miss Chhattisgarh, belongs to Mandir Hasaud village in Raipur.
12. Indus Towers Wins Deming Prize For 2018
- Indus Towers, world’s largest telecom tower company (outside China), won the Deming Prize for 2018, being the first Indian company in the service sector and the fifth in the world to achieve this.
- The Deming Prize was bestowed on Indus Towers for distinctive performance improvements through the application of Total Quality Management (TQM) practices. Indus Towers is only the 29th Indian company to win this coveted award.
13. Youth Olympic Games 2018: Saurabh Chaudhary bags Gold in 10-m air pistol
- Pistol shooter Saurabh Chaudhary has bagged the Gold Medal in the 10-meter air pistol event in the ongoing Youth Olympic Games in Argentina.
- In Buenos Aires, the 16-year old blew the field away in the final as he finished a massive Seven and a half points ahead of his closest rival. It is India’s third gold medal in the history of Youth Olympic Games.
14. Asian Para-Games 2018 : Archer Harvinder Singh Clinches Seventh Gold For India
- Archer Harvinder Singh notched up the men’s individual recurve gold, while track-and-field athletes added a silver and a bronze to India’s tally in the Asian Para-Games in Jakarta.
- Harvinder defeated China’s Zhao Lixuebn in the W2/ST category final to claim the top honors and take India’s gold tally to seven.
15. IOC Picks Senegal As 1st African Host For Youth Olympics
- The International Olympics Committee (IOC) has picked its first African host of any Olympics, formally awarding the 2022 Youth Games to Senegal.
- Senegal President Macky Sall was present to see IOC members confirm the executive board’s preference from four candidates.
16. Noted Malayalam Poet MN Paloor Passes Away
- Well-known Malayalam poet M N Paloor passed away at the age of 86-year due to age-related ailments.
- Paloor won the Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award, the state’s highest literary honour, in 1983 for his collection ‘Kalikalam’. He also received the Sahitya Akademi Award for his autobiography ‘Kathayillathavante Katha’ in 2013.