Team Gyantaxi presents the Daily GK Update for 12th January 2019. In this Daily GK Update, we have covered all the important National and International current affairs. We have also included Awards and Honours, Appointments, Agreements, Obituaries, Science and Technology, Sports etc. We also provide current affairs quiz based on Daily GK Updates regularly. Once you are done with reading, we request you to attempt the Current Affairs Quiz and the link is provided below. Enjoy reading the Daily GK Update for 12th January 2019.
Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 12 January 2019
1. National Youth Day: 12 January
- The National Youth Day is celebrated across the country on 12th January. NYD 2019 is the 156th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
- Since 1985, his birth anniversary has been celebrated as National Youth Day. Vivekananda died at the young age of 39, attaining Mahasamadhi in 1902.
2. India’s 1st Manned Mission To Space By December 2021: ISRO
- ISRO Chairman Dr. K Sivan has announced that the organization is well prepared to meet the targets of launching Gaganyaan manned mission to outer space by December 2021.
- Under Gaganyaan project, India is planning to send three astronauts to outer space for seven days and bring them back.
- 332 launches are planned this year. Important among them are Chandrayaaan -2 mission to the moon in mid-April. GSAT-20 Satellite for high bandwidth connectivity to be launched in September-October.
3. Sikkim will become first state to roll out Universal Basic Income
- Sikkim,though being a smallest state have set a initiative to introduce UBI in the entire nation. Sikkim’s long lasting chief minister and head of sikkim’s ruling party (sikkim democratic front) Pawan kumar chamling, quoted that if everything goes right then sikkim would be the first state to implement UNIVERSAL BASIC INCOME SYSTEM and execute it by 2022.
- This scheme is also regarded as an alternative to social welfare programmes with benefits towards reducing poverty.
- The UBI basically is an income given to families irrespective what do they do.It means everyone and every household will get an income irrespective of their profession.
4. 4th Meeting of CTDP Held In New Delhi
- Union Minister for Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu, chaired the 4th meeting of the Council for Trade Development and Promotion (CTDP) in New Delhi.
- Suresh Prabhu informed in the meeting that the Government of India has formulated an Agricultural Export Policy for the first time with a focused plan to boost India’s agricultural exports to USD 60 billion by 2022.
5. One-day Global Skill Summit 2019 held in Ranchi
- The one-day Global Skill Summit 2019 was held in Ranchi, Jharkhand.
Global Skill Summit 2019 held in RanchiIt is the only state where overall three global summits were organized in a row merely in four years by the state government.
- The theme of the Summit was ‘Skilling Youth, Enabling Youth’. It was under the #MOMEMTUM JHARKHAND campaign.
6. MEA Sushma Swaraj On 2 Day Visit To Uzbekistan
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj embarked on a two-day visit to Uzbekistan. Mrs. Swaraj will be in Samarkand for the First India-Central Asia Dialogue which she will co-chair with Uzbekistan’s Foreign Minister Abdulaziz Kamilov.
- The Foreign Minister of Afghanistan will participate in the Dialogue as a special invitee for the session dedicated to connectivity issues in the region.
7. Yes Bank Appoints Brahm Dutt As Non-Executive Part-Time Chairman
- Yes Bank, India’s fourth-largest private sector bank, announced the appointment of Brahm Dutt as non-executive part-time chairman up till July 4, 2020.
- Brahm Dutt has been on Yes Bank’s board since July 2013 as an independent director and contributed to almost all the sub-committees of the board over the past five and a half years.
8. Ashok Chawla Resigned As NSE Chairman
- Ashok Chawla resigned as chairman of the National Stock Exchange of India Ltd (NSE) with immediate effect “in light of recent legal developments”.
- Chawla’s resignation came on a day the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) told a special court in Delhi that it has obtained the sanction of the ministries concerned to file charges against him and four other former bureaucrats in the Aircel-Maxis case.
9. Su Tseng-chang Appointed PM of Taiwan
- Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen has appointed Su Tseng-chang as Prime Minister, during a Cabinet reshuffle following the ruling Democratic Progressive Party’s heavy losses in local elections.
- Su is a former premier appointed in 2006 by then-President Chen Shui-bian and was a chairman of Tsai’s Democratic Progressive Party for two terms.
10. Adi Godrej Conferred ICSI Lifetime Award
- Industrialist and Godrej Group Chairman Adi Godrej was conferred the ICSIs Lifetime Achievement Award for ‘Translating Excellence in Corporate Governance into Reality’.
- The awards were instituted by The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI), which is celebrating its golden jubilee.
- The 18th ICSI National Awards for Excellence in Corporate Governance were bagged jointly by Cipla Ltd and Dabur India Ltd and five others: ACC Ltd, Hindustan Unilever Ltd, Indian Oil Corp, Tata Metaliks Ltd and Indian Hotels Co Ltd.
11. Albie Morkel Retires From All Forms Of Cricket
- Albie Morkel, the South African all-rounder, announced his retirement from all forms of cricket. Morkel, who played for close to 20 years of professional cricket, made his first-class debut for Easterns against Northerns in the 1999-00 domestic season.
- Morkel earned a call-up into the South African ODI set-up for the series against New Zealand in 2004 after snaring 12 scalps in List A games in the 2003-04 season.
12. Virat Kohli and Ravi Shastri received honorary membership of Sydney Cricket Ground
- Virat Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri received honorary membership of the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) for their contribution to the sport of cricket.
- Virat Kohli and Ravi Shastri received honorary membership of Sydney Cricket Groundi. Apart from them, the only other international cricketers to be granted the honorary membership of the SCG are iconic Sachin Tendulkar and Brain Lara of the West Indies.