GK Update & Current Affairs: 22nd September 2018
1. ‘Village Rockstars’ Is India’s Official Entry To Oscars 2019
- Rima Das’ National Award-winning feature Village Rockstars has been chosen to represent India in the Best Foreign Language category at the 91st Academy Awards next year, the Film Federation of India (FFI) announced.
- The announcement was made by SV Rajendra Singh Babu, Chairman, Selection Committee for Oscar Award, FFI. The film had its world premiere at the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) and has toured more than 70 prestigious international and national film festivals.
2. Yes Bank Slapped With Rs 38 Crore In GST Fines
- Midsized private sector lender Yes Bank has paid Rs 38 crore in fines to the GST department for alleged violations in domestic remittances. Over Rs. 32 crore has been paid to the GST department, while Rs 6 crore has been paid in service tax which has been replaced by GST.
- The issue relates to remittances by migrants from urban pockets to their homes in rural areas. The tax department feels the bank has violated norms and underpaid the tax, while the bank feels the opposite.
3. IRDAI Raised Minimum Driver Insurance Cover To INR 15 Lakh
- Insurance regulator IRDAI has raised the minimum insurance cover for owner-driver to Rs. 15 lakh for a premium of Rs. 750 per annum, a move to provide some succour to road accident victims.
- Currently, the capital sum insured (CSI) under this section for motorised two-wheelers and private cars/commercial vehicles is Rs. 1 lakh and Rs. 2 lakh, respectively. The owner-drivers also have the option of a cover over and above Rs. 15 lakh on payment of additional premium.
4. Tamil Nadu Government announces scheme for protection of exotic Neela Kurinji plants
- Tamil Nadu government has announced Scheme for protection of exotic Neela kurinji (Strobilanthus kunthianus) plants that flower only once in 12 years. This scheme comes following complaints that these rare and ecologically unique flowers are being packaged and sold on the commercial basis.
- Neelakurinji is a tropical plant species. It is native to Shola forests in Western Ghats. It is also seen in Shevroys Hills in Eastern Ghats, Anamalai hills and Agali hills in Kerala and Sanduru hills in Karnataka.
5. ISRO setting up third launch pad at Sriharikota for Gaganyaan mission
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is setting up third launch pad at Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh to undertake Gaganyaan manned space flight programme. ISRO currently has two launch pads which are already full. Third launch pad is being set up for the human space flight.
- It will be ready in time for the mission. In addition, ISRO is scouting for location on western sea coast near Gujarat to set up another launch pad for Small Satellite Launch Vehicles (SSLV).
- ISRO is developing SSLV to offer affordable launch options for smaller satellites through ANTRIX, the space agency’s commercial arm.
It will be India’s first manned space mission. Under it, India is planning to send three humans (Gaganyatris) into space i.e. in low earth orbit (LEO) by 2022
6. First General Assembly of International Solar Alliance to be held on 2 October in Delhi
- The inaugural General Assembly of International Solar Alliance (ISA) will be inaugurated on 2 October 2018 in New Delhi. It will be followed by ministerial level assembly of ISA following day which will be will be held in Greater Noida.
- ISA was jointly launched by India and France in November 2015 at Paris on side lines of COP21 UN Climate Change Conference. Its Framework Agreement came into force in December 2017. It celebrated its founding day on 11th March, 2018. Its founding conference was held on 11 March 2018 in New Delhi.
7. India to Host The Women’s Boxing World C’ships
- The Women’s Boxing World Championships, to be hosted by India after more than a decade, will be held from November 15-24, 2018, in New Delhi. The teams will have to be in the national capital by November 13, with the competition starting two days later.
- The marquee tournament was last held in India in 2006 and remains the best for the country in terms of performance. India had topped the medal tally with four gold, three silver and one bronze medal.
8. Anil Kumar Chaudhary appointed as new Chairman of Steel Authority of India Ltd
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has appointed Anil Kumar Chaudhary as new Chairman of Steel Authority of India Ltd. He will in office till his superannuation in December, 2020.
- He will succeed P K Singh, who had retired from the post in June 2018. Prior to this appointment, he was serving as Director (Finance) at SAIL.
9. India Shine On Day 1 Of Track Asia Cup Cycling
- India won 3 Gold, 3Silver and a Bronze on the opening day of the 5th Track Asia Cup Cycling in New Delhi. Mayuri Lute won the country’s first Gold in the Women’s Junior 500 metres race. Another Gold came after the Indian men’s junior team performed as expected in the team sprint event, by defeating Kazakhstan.
- The tournament at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium is being organised by the Cycling Federation of India and has attracted participation from 12 countries.
10. India Won Silver in Asian Team Snooker Championship
- India settled for the silver medal after losing to Pakistan 2-3 in the final of the Asian Team Snooker Championship.
- Pankaj Advani and Malkeet Singh represented India while Babar Masih and Mohammad Asif were from the Pakistani side.
11. Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang Has Passed Away
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang died aged 61 at a military hospital in the capital Hanoi following a period of illness.
- Quang was appointed the president, a largely ceremonial role, in April 2016, and served alongside Vietnam’s de facto leader Communist Party Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong and Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc. Before that, he served as minister of public security.