Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 3rd December 2018
1. 4th Ex Cope India-2018 Starts In West Bengal
- Ex Cope India-18 is the fourth edition in the series of Bilateral Joint exercise held between IAF and USAF, which is conducted in India. This is the first time, the exercise is being planned at two Air Force bases, Kalaikunda, and Panagarh (West Bengal).
- USAF is participating with 12 X F15 C/D and 03 X C-130. IAF is participating with the Su-30 MKI, Jaguar, Mirage 2000, C-130J & AWACS aircraft. The aim of the exercise is to provide operational exposure and undertake a mutual exchange of best practices towards enhancing operational capability.
2. South African President To be Chief Guest At Republic Day Celebrations 2019
- South African President Cyril Ramaphosa will be the Chief Guest at the 2019 Republic Day celebrations in New Delhi. The announcement was made by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
3. India’s 1st Engine-Less ‘Train 18’ Breaches 180 kmph Speed Limit
- India’s first locomotive-less train, known as Train 18, has breached the 180 kilometers per hour speed limit during a test run at Kota-Sawai Madhopur section in Rajasthan. When this indigenously designed train is made operational, it will become the country’s fastest train.
- Train 18 is capable of touching 200 kilometers per hour provided the rest of the Indian Railways’ system, such as tracks and signals, permit. With 16 coaches, the train will have the same passenger carrying capacity as that of the Shatabdi Express.
4. FSSAI Launches New Campaign To Eliminate Trans Fats By 2022
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) launched a new mass media campaign calling for the elimination of industrially produced trans fat in the food supply.
- Called “Heart Attack Rewind”, the 30 second public service announcement (PSA) – the first mass media campaign of its kind – will support FSSAI’s global target of eliminating trans fat in India by the year 2022, a year ahead of the global target by the World Health Organization (WHO) for complete elimination of trans fat.
5. World Bank Unveils USD 200 billion in Climate Action Investment for 2021-25
- The World Bank has unveiled 200 billion US Dollars in climate action investment for 2021 to 2025, adding that this amounts to a doubling of its current five-year funding. The move coincides with a UN climate summit in Katowice.
- The breakdown of 200 billion dollars would comprise approximately 100 billion in direct finance from the World Bank.
6. Asia Pacific Summit-2018 Begins in Kathmandu
- The Asia Pacific Summit-2018 began in Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal. The theme of two-day Summit is “Addressing the Critical Challenges of Our Time: Interdependence, Mutual Prosperity, and Universal Values”.
- Around 1500 participants from 45 countries, including India, attending the summit. They will discuss various global issues, including peace, development, good governance and role of parliamentarians, climate change and role of media.
7. EAM Sushma Swaraj Co-Chairs India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj visited the United Arab Emirates to co-chair the 12th session of the India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting for Economic and Technical Cooperation with UAE Foreign Minister, Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan in Abu Dhabi.
- Mrs Swaraj also inaugurated a Gandhi – Zayed Digital Museum in Abu Dhabi to mark the celebrations of 150 years of Mahatma Gandhi’s birth and centenary celebrations of the birth of Shaikh Zayed, founder of the modern UAE.
8. Katowice Climate Change Conference 2018 Held in Poland
- The UN climate summits, i.e. so called COP (Conference of the Parties) are global conferences, in the course of which action for climate policy is negotiated. The Climate Change Conference 2018 was held in Katowice, Poland.
- For the first time, the climate summit took place in Katowice. This year’s summit included: 24th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP24), 14th Meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol (CMP 14) and the 1st Conference of Signatories to the Paris Agreement (CMA 1).
9. Global Agriculture & Food Summit 2018 Held in Jharkhand
- Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh inaugurated Global Agriculture and Food Summit 2018 in Ranchi, Jharkhand. Seven countries, including China, Israel and Malaysia are participating in the two-day Summit.
- Several dignitaries attended the inaugural ceremony including Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das and NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant.
10. AS Rajeev Appointed MD & CEO of Bank of Maharashtra
- State-owned Bank of Maharashtra announced that AS Rajeev has joined the lender as its managing director and chief executive officer. Prior to this, he was executive director of Indian Bank.
11. Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador Sworn in as Mexico President
- Leftist leader Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has been sworn in as the new Mexican President following his landslide victory in the July 2018 presidential election.
- Lopez Obrador, 65, took oath before a crowd that included world leaders and a strong majority in both houses of Congress.
12. Raninder Singh Becomes 1st Indian to Be Elected ISSF’s Vice-president
- Raninder Singh has become the first Indian to be elected one of the four vice-presidents of the International Shooting Sport Federation.
- The 51-year-old Raninder also heads the National Rifle Association of India. The former trap shooter bagged 161 votes to occupy the coveted post. In 2017, Raninder was re-elected president of the NRAI for a four-year term with an overwhelming mandate in Mohali.
13. International Day of Persons with Disabilities: 3 December
- Since 1992, the United Nations International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPD) has been annually observed on 3 December around the world.
- The theme for this year’s IDPD is “Empowering persons with disabilities and ensuring inclusiveness and equality”.
14. Moody’s Estimates India’s Real GDP to Grow at 7.2% in FY 2018-19
- Moody’s Investors Service’s annual Banking System Outlook on India estimated the country’s real gross domestic product (GDP) for the current financial year and next fiscal to grow at 7.2% and 7.4%, respectively.
- In its banking system outlook, the global rating agency stated that the growth will be driven by investment growth and strong consumption.
15. Mauritius’ SBM Gets RBI Approval To Merge Operations With Its Indian Subsidiary
- The Reserve Bank of India has approved the merger of SBM (Mauritius), India with SBM Bank (India).
- RBI has sanctioned the Scheme of amalgamation of the entire undertaking of SBM Bank (Mauritius) Limited, India with SBM Bank (India) Limited which has been granted licence by the Reserve Bank to carry on the business of banking in India through Wholly Owned Subsidiary (WOS) mode under the Banking Regulation Act.