Team Gyantaxi presents the Daily GK Update for 3 February 2019. In this Daily GK Update, we have covered all the important National and International current affairs. We have also included Awards and Honours, Appointments, Agreements, Obituaries, Science and Technology, Sports etc. We also provide current affairs quiz based on Daily GK Updates regularly. Once you are done with reading, we request you to attempt the Current Affairs Quiz and the link is provided below. Enjoy reading the Daily GK Update for 3 February 2019.
Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 3 February 2019
1. PM inaugurates first-ever university in Ladakh
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday launched University of Ladakh, the first-ever varsity in the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Jammu region has four universities besides an IIT and an IIMC, while the Kashmir Valley has three universities and a National Institute of Technology (NIT).
- Ladakh now has first cluster university comprising degree colleges of Leh, Kargil, Nubra, Zanskar, Drass and Khaltsi.
2. Visually challenged voters to get braille voter slips
- Visually impaired and blind voters will be provided with braille voter slips in the Lok Sabha elections due this summer. Braille is a script with raised dots that can be read with the fingers by people who are blind or who have low vision.
- As part of its strategy framework for ‘accessible elections’, the commission has told all chief electoral officers to issue accessible photo voter slips with braille to voters who are visually impaired or blind.
3. Industrialist K Mahesh passes away
- K Mahesh, chairman of Sundaram Brake Linings Ltd. (SBL), passed away on Saturday. He had been ailing for a while.
- Born on October 11, 1943, he was the youngest of the four siblings of T.S. Krishna of the TVS Group. He is survived by wife, two daughters and son Krishna Mahesh, who is the managing director of SBL.
4. Andhra High Court moves to new building in Amaravati inaugurated by CJI
- After operating out of the Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister’s camp office for over a month, the Andhra Pradesh High Court on Sunday moved to a new building at Amaravati on a temporary basis.
- The new building was inaugurated on Sunday by the Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi. The twostoried building located at Nelapadu in Amaravati region has 16 court halls, 12 of them on the first floor.
5. NASA’s Hubble finds a dwarf galaxy in our cosmic neighborhood
- Using the Hubble Space Telescope, astronomers have discovered a dwarf galaxy in a globular cluster which is only 30 million light-years away.
- The team used the NASA/ESA (European Space Agency) telescope to study white dwarf stars within the globular cluster NGC 6752.
- The aim of their observations was to use these stars to measure the age of the globular cluster, but in the process, they made an unexpected discovery.
6. Piyush Goyal to address RBI board on February 9
- Finance Minister Piyush Goyal is scheduled to address the customary post budget meeting of the central board of Reserve Bank of India on February 9 and highlight the key points of the interim Budget.
- The government expects Rs 28,000 crore from the RBI as interim dividend for the current fiscal based on the financial position of the first half of the central bank.
- The customary post-budget meeting will take place against the backdrop slight deviation from fiscal deficit target for the current fiscal, tax rebate for Income up to Rs 5 lakh and income support scheme for 12 crore farmers.
- The government announced ‘Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi’ (PM-KISAN) scheme under which Rs 6,000 per year would be provided to farmers holding cultivable land of up to 2 hectare.
7. CM Naidu launches 2nd phase of Pasupu-Kumkuma scheme, welfare pensions
- On 2nd February 2019, 2nd Phase of Pasupu-Kumkuma (Turmeric-Kumkum) scheme and welfare pensions was launched by Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Shri Chandrababu Naidu.
- 94 Lakh DWCRA (Development of Women and Children in Rural Areas) women will be given Rs 10000 in three installments under the Pasupu-Kumkuma scheme.
8. Indus River Dolphin declared Punjab’s State aquatic animal
- On February 2 ,2019,Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh declared one of the rarest mammal, Indus River Dolphin, which is only found in Beas River ,as Punjab State Aquatic Animal.
- The Chief Minister also approved to declare Kanjli Wetland and holy Kali Bein River as a wildlife conservation reserve to mark the historic celebration of 550th Parkash Purb of Sri Guru Nanak Dev.