Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 4th December 2018
1. Jammu & Kashmir Government Launches AB-PMJAY Scheme
- Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik launched the ambitious “Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY)” scheme which would benefit over 31 lakh residents in the state.
- The governor distributed golden cards among 10 eligible beneficiaries for availing the annual health cover facility, marking the launch of the scheme in the state.
2. ‘SHOUT’ Feature Introduced In The ‘112 India’ Mobile App
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh announced a pan-India single-number emergency mobile app ‘112 India’ and stated that it will have a special women safety feature ‘SHOUT’ to get immediate assistance from police and volunteers. It is connected to the Emergency Response Support System (ERSS).
- Under the ERSS project, people will be able to receive immediate assistance from police, health and fire departments as well as from other agencies using a pan-India single emergency number 112.
3. ‘PAiSA’ Launched Under Day-NULM
- “PAiSA – Portal for Affordable Credit and Interest Subvention Access”, a centralized electronic platform for processing interest subvention on bank loans to beneficiaries under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM).
- The web platform has been designed and developed by Allahabad Bank which is the Nodal bank. All 35 states / UTs & all scheduled commercial banks, RRBs, and Cooperative Banks are expected to be on board the PAiSA portal soon.
4. Delhi Minister Imran Hussain Gets PETA ‘Hero to Animals’ Award
- Delhi Minister of Food Supplies, Environment and Forest and Elections Imran Hussain was awarded by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)-India for banning the Chinese Manjha, or the glass-coated kite strings, across Delhi.
- The award, named ‘Hero to Animals,’ was also given to three other individuals and companies that have pushed animal rights forward. Other winners of Hero to Animals Award 2018
5. Yes Bank Appoints Ex-IRDAI Chief Vijayan As Additional Director
- Private sector lender Yes Bank Ltd appointed former IRDAI chief T.S. Vijayan as an additional director (Independent) for five years with immediate effect. He is already a key member of the search and selection committee (S&SC) set up to identify a suitable successor for CEO Rana Kapoor.
- Vijayan’s appointment would be subject to the approval of Yes Bank shareholders general meeting of the bank. Vijayan has also served as the Chairman of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC).
6. ECB Launched TIPS Instant Payment System
- The European Central Bank launched a new system aimed at letting banks settle payments instantly across Europe, helping them to compete with PayPal and other global tech giants.
- Developed in just over a year, the ECB’s TARGET Instant Payment Settlement (TIPS) system will let people and companies in Europe transfer euros to each other within seconds and regardless of the opening hours of their local bank.
- TIPS is open only to providers that have an account at a central bank connected to the euro zone’s TARGET 2 network, meaning it is effectively restricted to European Union banks.
7. Qatar To Leave OPEC From January 2019
- Qatar has announced its decision to leave the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) from January 2019 and focus more on the production of natural gas. The announcement was made by Qatar’s new energy minister, Saad al-Kaabi.
- Qatar is the world’s largest exporter of LPG. Qatar also wants to raise its oil production from 4.8 million barrels of oil equivalent a day to 6.5 million barrels.
8. Luka Modric Wins Ballon d’Or 2018
- Real Madrid and Croatia midfielder Luka Modric won Ballon d’Or 2018 in Paris. In the process, he broke the decade-long duopoly over the award held by Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. The last player to win the award outside of Ronaldo and Messi was Brazilian great Kaka in 2007.
- The 33-year old Croatian was awarded the FIFA’s World Cup 2018 MVP, UEFA’s Player of the Year 2018, Best FIFA Footballer of the Year and the number one player by International Federation of Football History and Statistics.
9. Pawan Singh First Indian To Be Elected In ISSF’s Judges Committee
- Pawan Singh has become the first Indian to be elected one of seven member’s of the Judges Committee of the International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF). Mr. Singh also holds the post of the Joint Secretary General of the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI).
- Mr. Singh got elected onto the seven members’ Judges Committee for which 22 candidates from all over the world were in the fray. Members of the administrative council of ISSF voted to select the committee during the elections held at Munich. The ISSF elections take place every four years.
10. Vinesh Phogat, Sakshi Malik Win Gold At Wrestling Nationals
- Indian star wrestlers Vinesh Phogat and Sakshi Malik successfully emerged champions in the 57 kg and 62 kg title respectively in the Tata Motors Senior Women’s National Championship.
- Vinesh Phogat bagged her sixth National title. She had earlier won five Nationals in a row from 2012 to 2016. Sakshi put up a confident show to win the title in the 62 kg without losing a single point. The event was hosted by Uttar Pradesh.
11. Jon Ridgeon Appointed CEO of IAAF
- The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) announced the appointment of Jon Ridgeon as its new CEO following approval by the IAAF Council on the first day of its 215th Council Meeting in Monaco.
- Ridgeon will take up the new role in March 2019.
12. Ullas Narayan Wins India’s 1st International Medal in Ultra Running
- Ullas Narayan became the first ever Indian individual medal winner in an international ultra running event by clinching a bronze in the 2018 International Association of Ultra Running (IAU) 24 Hour Asia & Oceania Championships in Taipei.
- Narayan bagged the third position, completing 250 km, behind two Japanese runners Yoshihiko Ishikawa (253 km) and Nobuyuki Takahashi (252 km). Japan won the team event gold with a distance of 756 km and Australia (684 km) got the silver.