Team Gyantaxi presents the Daily GK Update for 4 February 2019. In this Daily GK Update, we have covered all the important National and International current affairs. We have also included Awards and Honours, Appointments, Agreements, Obituaries, Science and Technology, Sports etc. We also provide current affairs quiz based on Daily GK Updates regularly. Once you are done with reading, we request you to attempt the Current Affairs Quiz and the link is provided below. Enjoy reading the Daily GK Update for 4 February 2019.
Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 4 February 2019
1. Minister for IT inaugurates ‘ICT Academy Bridge 2019’ conference in Tamil Nadu
- Dr M. Manikandan, Minister for Information Technology of Tamil Nadu inaugurated ‘ICT Academy Bridge 2019’ conference in the city that witnessed more than 1,000 participants from government, industry and academia.
- Event was organized by ICT Academy, the 37th edition of the conference is the largest Industry-Institute Interaction Event of Asia. The conference was organized under the theme “Fostering India for Industry 4.0”.
2. India-Monaco Business Forum Held in New Delhi
- Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu has inaugurated the Indo-Monaco Business Forum in New Delhi.
- Bilateral trade between India and Monaco in 2017-18 was USD 3.01 million, and there is immense potential to scale up the bilateral trade between the two nations. Monaco is ranked 106th among foreign direct investor in India (since April 2000 to June 2018) with USD 2.51 million FDI equity inflow.
3.India’s Tourism Sector Registers 19% Growth In 2018
- Union Tourism Minister KJ Alphons has announced that the country’s tourism sector fetched revenue of 234 billion US Dollar in 2018, registering a growth of over 19%. This revenue was contributed by 87% domestic and 13% foreign tourists.
- He made the announcement at the 2nd ASEAN-India Youth Summit in Guwahati. The country is ranked third in the tourism sector, according to the 2018 report of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC).
4. Railway Minister launches the IEA’s Report “The Future of Rail”
- Minister of Railways, Piyush Goyal launched the “The Future of Rail” report of the International Energy Agency (IEA). The Future of Rail is the first-of-a-kind report that analyses the current and future importance of rail around the world through the perspective of its energy and environmental implications.
- The report reviews the impact of existing plans and regulations on the future of rail and explores the policies that could help to realise an enhanced future of the railways.
5.New e-Commerce Policy Comes Into Effect
- India’s new e-commerce policy came into effect From February 1, 2019. A new set of policy rules had been formed for the e-commerce companies.
- Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (previously DIPP) gave them a 60-day window period for aligning themselves to the government’s modified foreign direct investment (FDI) rules.
6. IPS Officer Rishi Kumar Shukla Appointed New CBI Director
- Rishi Kumar Shukla, 1983 batch IPS officer of Madhya Pradesh cadre, was appointed as the new chief of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). He will be serving for a fixed term of two years.
- Shukla’s appointment to the post was approved by a high-level committee chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
7. Nilambar Acharya appointed Nepal’s envoy to India
- Former Law Minister of Nepal Nilambar Acharya has been appointed as country’s ambassador to India. President Bidya Devi Bhandari administered the oath of office and secrecy to Mr Acharya in Kathmandu. He has been appointed on the recommendation of the cabinet.
- The position of Nepalese ambassador to India was lying vacant after Deep Kumar Upadhyay resigned in October 2017 to join politics.
8. February 4: World Cancer Day
- World Cancer Day is being observed observed globally on 4th February.
- This year, Union for International Cancer Control (UICC), which organizes World Cancer Day, is launching a new 3-year (2019-2021) campaign with the theme: “I Am and I Will.”
9.Sana Mir becomes first Asian woman cricketer to play 100 T20Is
- Former captain of the Pakistan women team Sana Mir has become the first Asian woman to play hundred T20Is. Mir, 33, is one of Pakistan’s most senior women cricketers and has been representing the country since 2005.
- She achieved the feat when she took the field against West Indies in the third and final T20I in Karachi.
10. Haryana Beat Defending Champions Punjab Royals to Lift PWL 4 Title
- Haryana Hammers won the fourth edition of the Pro Wrestling League (PWL) as they outclassed Punjab Royals 6-3 in the summit clash at the Gautam Buddha University indoor stadium, Greater Noida.
11. ICC ODI Rankings: Smriti Mandhana becomes No.1 batswoman in world
- Indian women’s cricket team opener Smriti Mandhana has become the top-ranked batter in women’s ODI cricket, as per the latest rankings released by the ICC.
- The 22-year-old moved up three spots in the batters’ rankings to reach the top spot. In the 15 ODIs Smriti has played since the beginning of 2018, she has scored two centuries and eight half-centuries.