Team Gyantaxi presents the Daily GK Update for 6 February 2019. In this Daily GK Update, we have covered all the important National and International current affairs. We have also included Awards and Honours, Appointments, Agreements, Obituaries, Science and Technology, Sports etc. We also provide current affairs quiz based on Daily GK Updates regularly. Once you are done with reading, we request you to attempt the Current Affairs Quiz and the link is provided below. Enjoy reading the Daily GK Update for 6 February 2019.
Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 6 February 2019
1. Maharashtra Sets Up Panel To Review Welfare Schemes For Tribals
- The Maharashtra government has set up a committee to review various schemes being implemented for the welfare of tribals in the state.
- The 17-member committee, headed by former MLA and Shramjeevi Sanghatna president Vivek Pandit, will undertake the study of various works done for providing employment opportunities, minimum wages and proper livelihood to tribals.
2. Transport Minister Launches Highway Projects In Odisha
- The Union Road Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari laid the foundation stone of three major highway projects with an investment worth Rs 2,345 crores in Odisha. The projects are aimed at ensuring speedy development in the state.
- The three highway projects are expected to considerably improve connectivity of mineral-rich Angul and Dhenkanal districts with the rest of Odisha. The three national highway projects will have a total length of 132 km.
3. Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY) App Launched
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY) App has been launched on Google play store. Ayushman Bharat Yojana or Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY) is a centrally sponsored scheme; which was launched in the year 2018, under the Ayushman Bharat Mission of MoHFW in the country.
- This scheme aims at making interventions in primary, secondary and tertiary care systems, covering both preventive and promotive health, to address healthcare holistically. Moving ahead to digitalisation this app is now available on Google Play store.
4. Punjab Government Constitutes 5 Member Committee To Promote Dairy Farming
- Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh announced a high-powered 5-member committee to prepare a comprehensive action plan to boost the dairy sector with the aim of supplementing the income of farmers in a result-oriented manner.
- The committee would consist of Chairman State Farmers Commission, Director Animal Husbandry, Director of Dairy Development, a representative of Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (GADVASU).
5. President Presents Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards to 42 for the year 2017
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards for the year 2017 to 42 noted artists in five categories.
- The awards were presented at a special function held at the Rashtrapati Bhawan, New Delhi.
6. NFDC Declared Winner For Promotion of SC/ST Entrepreneurs
- National Film Development Corporation (NFDC) of India has been selected as Winner under the Miniratna Category (Category II) by Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME).
- This has been done as part of an endeavour by Ministry of MSME to felicitate select CPSEs to recognize their exemplary work towards promotion of SC/ST entrepreneurs.
7. RBI Slaps Penalty on Syndicate Bank and Axis Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India has slapped an Rs1-crore penalty on Syndicate Bank and Rs 20 lakh on Axis Bank for violating norms. The penalty on Syndicate Bank is due to non-compliance with the directions regarding frauds and risk management systems.
- Axis Bank was fined for contravention of the directions on detection and impounding of counterfeit notes and installation of note sorting machines.
8. Dinesh Bhatia Appointed As The Ambassador of India To The Republic Of Argentina
- The government has appointed Dinesh Bhatia, the present Consul General, Consulate General of India at Toronto as the next Ambassador of India to Argentina.
- The MEA stated that present India’s envoy to Argentina Sanjiv Ranjan has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Colombia.
9. Ramit Tandon Wins Seattle Open
- Indian squash player Ramit Tandon defeated Egyptian Mohamed El Sherbini in the finals to win the Seattle Open, a PSA challenger squash Tour event.
- The top-seeded Indian, who rose to his career high ranking of 58 in the latest February list, won his first PSA title in the new year and fourth title overall in his career.
10. ISRO Launches GSAT 31 From French Guiana
- India’s 40th communication satellite GSAT-31 has been launched successfully from French Guiana. The Ariane-5 rocket lifted off with it from Kourou Launch Base, and in 42-minutes, placed it in the intended Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit.
- It was immediately taken control by Indian Space Research Organization ISRO scientists from its Hassan facility in Karnataka. GSAT-31 will provide transponder capacity for DTH television and connectivity to services like VSATs for ATMs, stock-exchanges, Digital Satellite News Gathering DSNG and e-governance applications.
11. Veteran Marathi Actor Ramesh Bhatkar Passes Away
- Veteran Marathi actor Ramesh Bhatkar passed away aged 70 after battling cancer for over one and a half years.
- During his career, spanning over 30 years, the actor starred in several Marathi films and television series including ‘Aai Pahije’ and ‘Commander’. The actor also featured in Hindi films like ‘The Accidental Prime Minister’ and ‘Bhavesh Joshi Superhero’.