Team Gyantaxi presents the Daily GK Update for 7 February 2019. In this Daily GK Update, we have covered all the important National and International current affairs. We have also included Awards and Honours, Appointments, Agreements, Obituaries, Science and Technology, Sports etc. We also provide current affairs quiz based on Daily GK Updates regularly. Once you are done with reading, we request you to attempt the Current Affairs Quiz and the link is provided below. Enjoy reading the Daily GK Update for 7 February 2019.
Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 7 February 2019
1. India And Germany Join Hands On Water And Waste Management
- India and Germany have joined hands for cooperation on Water and Waste Management. During the meeting of 3rd Indo-German Working Group for cooperation on water and waste management which concluded in New Delhi, both sides discussed potential cooperation in this area.
- Both sides decided to work on developing reference documents for the textile sector, Water Governance, Marine Litter, waste to energy landfill sites, water quality management, training and capacity building of local bodies and Circular Economy.
2. 2019 Asia LPG Summit Held In New Delhi
- Mr. Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Minister for petroleum and natural gas, inaugurated the 2019 Asia LPG summit in New Delhi.
- The summit has been organized jointly by the major Indian oil marketing companies (OMCs) Indian Oil, Hindustan Petroleum and Bharat Petroleum together with the World LPG Association (WLPGA) at the Taj Palace Hotel in New Delhi.
- This is the second edition of the Asia LPG Summit, with the first one having been held in 2017. This two-day event will focus on ‘LPG – Energy for Life.’ India is the 2nd largest consumer of liquified natural gas (LPG) in the world.
3. Indian Coast Guard Signs MoU With AAI For Maritime Search And Rescue
- Indian Coast Guard and the Airport Authority of India (AAI) signed a Memorandum of Understanding at Coast Guard Regional Headquarters in Port Blair in the presence of Inspector General Maneesh Vishal Pathak, Commander Coast Guard Region (Andaman and Nicobar Islands) for coordination in the aeronautical and maritime search and rescue operations.
- The MoU with AAI) is aimed at strengthening mutual interactions, interoperability and validating procedures during conduct of search and rescue operations jointly by the Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) Kolkata, Airport Authority of India (AAI) and Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) in Port Blair, the PRO of Indian Coast Guard said in a press release.
4. ‘Darwaza Band Part 2’ Campaign Launched by Swatch Bharat Mission Grameen
- ‘Darwaza Band- Part 2’ campaign launched by Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen focuses on sustaining the open defecation free status of villages across the country. Earlier Darwaza Band campaign was launched in 2017.
- The campaign launched by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation in Mumbai in the presence of actor Amitabh Bachchan.
5. 2nd Joint Secretary Level Meeting To Review India-Nepal Trade Treaty Begins
- The second joint secretary level meeting to review the India-Nepal Trade Treaty begun in Pokhara, Nepal.
- The Indian delegation is headed by Bhupinder Singh Bhalla, Joint Secretary (South Asia), Department of Commerce, while Ravi Shankar Saiju, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Supplies is leading the Nepalese side.
- During the two day meeting, India will respond to Nepal’s proposal of updating treaty submitted in the first meeting held in August last year.
6. Macedonia Signs Accord To Join NATO
- Macedonia signed an accord to join NATO to become the 30th member of the US-led alliance. At a formal signing of the NATO accession protocol, Macedonia’s Foreign Minister Nikola Dimitrov hailed the moment as showing that the country will never walk alone once in the alliance.
- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg stated the admittance of a new member highlighted that all European nations who meet the entrance criteria could join the regional alliance.
7. IBA Issued Advisory To Waive Off Various Charges For Kisan Credit Card
- Indian Banking Association has issued advisory requesting banks to waive off the processing, documentation, inspection and all other service charges for Kisan Credit Card and crop loans up to 3 lakh rupees.
- The Kisan Credit Card Scheme aims at providing adequate and timely credit support from the banking system to the farmers to meet the short term credit requirements for cultivation of crops, investment credit requirements for agriculture and allied activities and other needs.
8. 6th Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy Statement Released: Repo Rate Reduced to 6.25%
- RBI has released 6th Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy Statement. On the basis of an assessment of the current and evolving macroeconomic situation at its meeting, the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) decided to:
a. Reduce the policy repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) by 25 basis points from 6.5% to 6.25% with immediate effect.
b. Consequently, the reverse repo rate under the LAF stands adjusted to 6.0%, and the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate to 6.5%.
c. On the supply side, the FAE has placed the growth of real gross value added (GVA) at 7.0% in 2018-19 as compared with 6.9% in 2017-18.
- Inflation Rates:
a. Retail inflation declined from 3.4% in October 2018 to 2.2% in December, the lowest print in the last eighteen months.
b. Inflation in the fuel and light group fell from 8.5% in October to 4.5% in December.
c. CPI inflation excluding food and fuel decelerated to 5.6% in December from 6.2% in October.
9. Fino Payments Bank Partners With Suryoday SFB To Offer Sweep Account Facility
- Fino Payments Bank (FPB) has announced the launch of a sweep account facility in association with Suryoday Small Finance Bank (SSFB). This partnership will help FPB address the issue of deposit limits that all the payment banks face at the moment.
- As per the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), payment banks can only take deposits upto Rs1 lakh per account.
10. Air India Chairperson Pradeep Singh Kharola Appointed Civil Aviation Secretary
- The government appointed Air India chief managing director and Chairperson Pradeep Singh Kharola the secretary of the Ministry of Civil Aviation. Kharola will take over from Rajiv Nayan Choubey.
- Kharola, an Indian Administrative Services officer of Karnataka cadre from the 1985 batch, was named chairperson of Air India in November 2017.
11. Assam Tops In Budgetary Practices Followed By States: Transparency International
- The State Bank of India’s Uk chief Mr. Sanjiv Chadha has been honored with the ‘Freedom of the City Of London’ by the city of London Corporation in recognition of his contribution to promoting the bilateral relations.
- Sanjiv Chadha took up the position in 2014 and he will be succeeded by Sharad Chandak. Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru was the previous Indian recipient of this award and other recipient includes author JK Rowling and actor Dame Judi Dench.
12. Smriti Mandhana Scores India’s Fastest-ever T20I Fifty
- Indian opener Smriti Mandhana hammered the fastest fifty for India in Women’s T20Is. The left-handed batswoman struck a half-century in just 24 balls in the 1st T20I against New Zealand at Westpac Stadium in Wellington.
- New Zealand’s Sophie Devine holds the record of the quickest half-century in women’s T20Is. She set the record in 2005 against India when she hammered an 18-ball fifty.
13. Arvind Kejriwal-Led Delhi Government Launches Zero Fatality Corridor, To Reduce Road Accidents
- In an attempt to bring down injuries and deaths due to road accidents, the Arvind Kejriwal-led Delhi government has launched the ‘Zero Fatality Corridor’ to examine the cause for accidents and crashes on the stretch between Burari Chowk and Bhalswa chowk, located on the outer ring road.
- The initiative is to be run in partnership with SaveLIFE Foundation, a leading road safety non-profit organization. It was launched by Delhi’s transport minister Kailash Gahlot and officials say that the activity was in tune with the Delhi government’s plan of reducing fatalities because of road accidents by 30 percent before 2020.