Team Gyantaxi presents the Daily GK Update for 8 February 2019. In this Daily GK Update, we have covered all the important National and International current affairs. We have also included Awards and Honours, Appointments, Agreements, Obituaries, Science and Technology, Sports etc. We also provide current affairs quiz based on Daily GK Updates regularly. Once you are done with reading, we request you to attempt the Current Affairs Quiz and the link is provided below. Enjoy reading the Daily GK Update for 8 February 2019.
Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 8 February 2019
1. GeM And CCI Sign MoU For Fair Environment In e-Marketplace
- Government e Marketplace (GeM) and Competition Commission of India (CCI) entered into an MoU to enable a fair and competitive environment in the e-Marketplace. Chairman CCI, A.K. Gupta, CEO GeM, S. Radha Chauhan were present on the occasion.
- GeM is a state-of-the-art national public procurement platform of Ministry of Commerce and Industries, that has used technology to remove entry barriers for bonafide sellers and has created a vibrant e-marketplace with a wide range of goods and services.
- Competition Commission of India is a statutory body of the Government of India, responsible for enforcing the Competition Act, 2002 throughout India and to prevent activities that have an adverse effect on competition.
2. Parmanu Tech 2019-Nuclear Energy Conference Held In New Delhi
- Ministry of External Affairs and Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) organized Parmanu Tech 2019 in New Delhi to discuss the issues related to Nuclear Energy and Radiation Technologies.
- The main motive of this conference is to showcase India’s capabilities in Nuclear Energy with environmental responsibility. Dr. Jitendra Singh delivered the keynote address at the conference.
3. Chennai Police Launches Mobile App ‘Digicop’
- Actor Vijay Sethupathi launched the mobile App ‘DigiCop’ of the Chennai police department at the Commissioner’s office. Using the App, people can track the status of stolen two-wheelers and cell phones.
- The details of 18,000 stolen mobile phones are stored in the App. Using DigiCop App, people can verify IMEI, report lost two-wheelers and phones, know the nearest police station, police news, and traffic alerts.
4. 5th India-Bangladesh Joint Consultative Committee Meet Held in New Delhi
- The 5th India-Bangladesh Joint Consultative Committee Meeting was held in New Delhi. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Foreign Affairs Minister of Bangladesh Dr. A. K. Abdul Momen co-chaired the meeting.
- It is the first high-level visit from Bangladesh since Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s victory in the parliamentary elections in December 2018. Dr Momen briefed the Prime Minister on recent developments in the bilateral relationship.
5. American Members of US-India CEO Forum Announced
- US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross has announced the names of the American private sector members of the US-India CEO Forum among who are MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga and Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf. The first meeting of the forum will be held in New Delhi on February 14.
- The US CEOs serve two-year terms and are selected from respondents to a Federal Register Notice calling for CEO-level applicants to the US Section of the Forum.
6. India Pavilion Inaugurated At 69th Berlin International Film Festival
- The India Pavilion at the Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale) 2019 was inaugurated by Mr Matthijis Wouter Knol, Director European Film Market (EFM). The poster of IFFI 2019 was also inaugurated by the dignitaries during the inaugural ceremony.
- Ministry of I&B, in collaboration with Confederation of Indian Industry, is participating in the Berlin International Film Festival being held from 7th – 17th February, 2019 at Berlin, Germany.
7. India Jumps 8 Place To 36th On International IP Index 2019
- India has jumped eight places to 36th position on the International Intellectual Property (IP) Index, which analyses the IP climate in 50 global economies, this year. The US, the UK, Sweden, France and Germany remained the top five economies on the intellectual property index in 2019 retaining their spots from the last year.
- The index brought out by the US Chamber of Commerce’s Global Innovation Policy Center (GIPC) ranks countries based on 45 indicators that are critical to an innovation-led economy supported by robust patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secrets protection.
8. Francois Laborde Conferred France’s Highest Civilian Honour
- Father Francois Laborde, a 92-year-old priest, was conferred the Légion d’Honneur (Legion of Honour), the highest civilian award of France, in recognition of his work for specially-abled children.
- He was entitled by the French Ambassador to India, Alexandre Ziegler. Father Laborde had set up Howrah South Point, an organisation working for the development of specially-abled children, the destitute and the most deprived sections of the society.
9. Mirabai Chanu Notched Up Gold At EGAT Cup in Thailand
- World champion Indian weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu notched up a gold medal at the EGAT Cup in Thailand. Chanu won the 48kg category gold with an effort of 192 kg in the silver level Olympic qualifying event.
- Making a strong comeback from the lower back injury that kept her out of action for nearly nine months, the 24-year-old Manipuri lifted 82 kg in snatch and 110 kg in clean and jerk to finish on top of the podium.
10. Longest-Serving US Congressman John Dingell Passes Away
- John Dingell, the longest-serving congressman in US history, has passed away aged 92. He was first elected in 1955, serving in the House of Representatives for the next 59 years.
- He retired in 2015. Mr. Dingell served through the terms of 11 US presidents.