Team Gyantaxi presents the Daily GK Update for 9 and 10 February 2019. In this Daily GK Update, we have covered all the important National and International current affairs. We have also included Awards and Honours, Appointments, Agreements, Obituaries, Science and Technology, Sports etc. We also provide current affairs quiz based on Daily GK Updates regularly. Once you are done with reading, we request you to attempt the Current Affairs Quiz and the link is provided below. Enjoy reading the Daily GK Update for 9 and 10 February 2019.
Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 9 and 10 February 2019
1. PM inaugurates projects worth ₹4,000 cr in Arunachal
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated and laid foundation stone of projects in Arunachal Pradesh worth over Rs 4,000 crore.
- Addressing at function at IG Park, he said his government was giving importance to improve the highway, railway, airway and power situation in Arunachal Pradesh, which was neglected by the previous governments.
- Modi laid the foundation stone for construction of greenfield Airport at Hollongi and inaugurated an upgraded and retrofitted airport at Tezu in Lohit district at a worth of Rs 125 crore through remote at a function at IG Park here.
2. PM Modi inaugurates Chennai Metro Rail’s final leg
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday inaugurated the last leg of the Chennai metro rail’s blueline and declared six underground metro stations through video-conferencing.
- In the presence of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami and Deputy Chief Minsiter O Panneerselvam and Governor Banwarilal Purohit, Modi flagged off Chennai Metro’s passenger services.
- The Prime Minister also laid a foundation stone for modernisation of Chennai International Airport, (Phase-II), a new integrated terminal building at Tiruchirappalli airport, and a 100-bedded ESI hospital here.
3. Harsimrat Kaur inaugurates Himachal’s first mega food park in Una
- Food Processing Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal on Sunday inaugurated Cremica Food Park, which is the first mega food park of Himachal Pradesh. The mega food park has been set up at a cost of Rs 107.34 crore.
- This is the first mega food park operationalised in Himachal Pradesh. The inauguration took place in presence of Jai Ram Thakur, Chief Minister, Himachal Pradesh and Anurag Singh Thakur, Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha, Hamirpur, according to the statement.
4. Abu Dhabi includes Hindi as third official court language
- In a landmark decision, Abu Dhabi has included Hindi as the third official language used in its courts, alongside Arabic and English, as part of a move designed to improve access to justice.
- The Abu Dhabi Judicial Department it has extended the adoption of interactive forms of statement of claims filed before courts by including the Hindi language alongside Arabic and English in labour cases.
- This is aimed at helping Hindi speakers to learn about litigation procedures, their rights and duties without a language barrier, in addition to facilitating registration procedures via unified forms available through the ADJD website
5. Informal sector workers can join PMSYM pension scheme from Feb 15
- All unorganised sector workers up to 40 years of age can subscribe to the Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maandhan (PMSYM) scheme, which entails a minimum monthly pension of Rs 3,000, from February 15, a Labour Ministry notification said.
- The scheme, announced by Finance Minister Piyush Goyal in the Budget for 2019-20, is targeted at unorganised sector workers with monthly income of up to Rs 15,000. Goyal had said it would benefit 10 crore workers in the next five years.
6. India And Bangladesh Signed MoU for Training 1800 Bangladesh Civil Servants
- India and Bangladesh have signed an MOU for training 1800 Bangladesh Civil Servants at the National Centre for Good Governance (NCGG) an institute under the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DAR&PG), Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Govt. of India, over the next 6 years.
- The MOU was signed between the NCGG and the Ministry of Public Administration, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh during the visit of the Foreign Minister of Bangladesh.
7. India To Host 13th Conference of Parties of Convention On Conservation of Migratory Species
- The 13th Conference of Parties (COP) of the Convention on the conservation of migratory species of wild animals (CMS), an environmental treaty under the aegis of United Nations Environment Programme, is going to be hosted by India during 15th to 22nd February 2020 at Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
- Representatives from 129 Parties and eminent conservationists and international NGOs working in the field of wildlife conservation are expected to attend the COP.
8. J&K Government Grants Divisional Status to Ladakh Region
- The State Government of Jammu and Kashmir issued a notification of creation of Ladakh as 3rd Division in the state.
- Divisional status would facilitate this region in a great way to progress. Routine administrative clearances for Leh and Kargil can be obtained at Divisional headquarters in Leh. Apart from that, new Division also brings opportunities of employment of different levels in various departments for the locals.
9. Smriti Irani Launches India Size Project in Mumbai
- Union Minister of Textiles Smriti Irani launched the India Size project in Mumbai. A first-of-its-kind project in the history of the country, India Size aims to arrive at a standard Indian Size for the ready-to-wear clothing industry, on the lines of the standardized sizes available in countries such as the USA and the UK.
- India size project will benefit manufacturers, consumers and generate data which will help tap into the potential of the sector.
10. 2nd ASEAN-India Youth Summit Held in Guwahati
- Union Minister of State for Tourism KJ Alphons and Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated the 2nd ASEAN-India Youth Summit at Hotel Taj Vivanta in Guwahati.
- Over 100 youth delegates from Vietnam, Laos, Brunei, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar and Indonesia took part in the summit tag-lined Connectivity: Pathway to Shared Prosperity, organised by India Foundation and the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India.
11. ICAI Signs Pact With Invest India To Promote Foreign Investment
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) announced that it has signed a pact with Invest India to promote foreign investments in the country and Indian investments abroad.
- The MoU was signed by ICAI President Naveen N D Gupta and Invest India MD and CEO Deepak Bagla. The objective of the MoU is to provide necessary guidance and advice to the potential inbound and outbound investors and promote India as an investment-friendly destination.
12. PMAY (U) Awards Instituted For Implementation & Innovation
- In a bid to recognize the outstanding performance and to promote a healthy competition by States/UTs, Urban Local Bodies, Beneficiaries and Housing Finance Corporations (under CLSS), Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has instituted the ‘PMAY (U) awards for Implementation and Innovation’ under the Mission.
- The overarching purpose of the PMAY (U) Awards is to identify and reward the “Top Performers” in different categories, to encourage others to compete and attain the goal of ‘Housing for All’ in a sustained manner.
13. RBI Slaps Fine of Rs 1 crore on SBI
- RBI in the exercise of powers conferred under Section 47 A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 has levied a penalty of Rupees one crore on the State Bank of India (SBI) for not monitoring the end use of funds in respect of one of its borrowers.
14. RBI Raised Collateral-Free Farm Loan Limit From Rs. 1 Lakh To Rs. 1.6 Lakh
- The Reserve Bank of India raised the limit of collateral-free agricultural loans to Rs. 1.6 lakh from the current Rs. 1 lakh with a view to help small and marginal farmers.
- The Union Budget had also announced measures to boost the farming sector in addition to annual payment of Rs. 6,000 to small and marginal farmers. Currently, the banks are mandated to extend collateral-free agricultural loans up to Rs. 1 lakh. This limit was fixed in the year 2010.
15. Oscar-nominated British Actor Albert Finney Passes Away
- Oscar-nominated British actor Albert Finney passed away peacefully after a short illness. He aged 82. He was a five-time Oscar nominee who began his career at the Royal Shakespeare Company before making his mark in film.
- His big film break came as “angry young man” Arthur Seaton in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.