GK Update & Current Affairs: 9th October 2018
1. World Post Day: 9th October
- World Post Day is celebrated each year on 9 October, the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in the Swiss Capital, Bern.
- The theme selected for the 2018 competition is: “Imagine you are a letter travelling through time. What message do you wish to convey to your readers?”
2. Pakistan Test-Fires Nuclear-Capable Ghauri Ballistic Missile
- Pakistan has successfully test-fired Ghauri ballistic missile capable of carrying both conventional and nuclear warheads up to a distance of 1,300 kilometres.
- The launch was conducted by Army Strategic Forces Command and was aimed at testing the operational and technical readiness.
3. Jharkhand to become partner state at Goa International Film Festival
- Jharkhand state has become the partner state at 2018 Goa International Film Festival to showcase its culture and favourable filmmaking incentives. This year Goa International Film Festival from 20th to 28th of November.
- It was also decided to organize Jharkhand Film Festival, under Indian Panorama, in two towns of Jharkhand in the first month of 2019.
4. India International Science Festival 2018 Concludes
- The four-day long mega science expo, India International Science Festival (IISF-2018) concluded in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. IISF-2018 witnessed a footfall of more than 10 lakh people and more than 22 thousand registrations, the highest in its four-year history making it the largest festival of its kind in Asia.
- IISF was inaugurated by the President Ram Nath Kovind. IISF 2018 also saw two major Guinness World Records being made one of which was a World Record successful attempt to “isolate DNA” by 550 students from class 8th to 10th standard. IISF-2018 with its focal theme “Science for Transformation” had more than 23 special events in its 4th edition.
5. India Signs Key Agreements With Tajikistan
- President Ram Nath Kovind had a meeting with his Tajikistan counterpart Mr. Emomali Rahmon in Dushanbe. On this occasion, both countries signed MoUs in various fields including political relations, strategic research, agriculture, renewable energy, traditional medicine, space technology, youth affairs, Culture and Disaster Management.
- The President held bilateral level talks his Tajikistan counterpart Emomali Rahmon. Indian grant of 20 million US dollars was announced for Tajikistan to finance development projects. Several other key bilateral pacts were also signed.
6. Minister of State for Commerce Attends India–West Africa Conclave in Nigeria
- Minister of State for Commerce & Industry, Consumer Affairs and Food & Public Distribution, C. R. Chaudhary led the Indian delegation to the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)- EXIM Bank, Regional Conclave on India-West Africa Project Partnership being held in Abuja, Nigeria.
- The Conclave is a two-day event with the focus on business deliberations, Business to Government (B2G) and Business to Business (B2B) engagements.
7. PM Modi unveiled a statue of Deenbandhu Sir Chhotu Ram in Rohtak, Haryana
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled a 64-Feet tall statue of Deenbandhu Sir Chhotu Ram (messiah of farmers) at Sampla in Rohtak district, Haryana.
- PM Modi also laid the foundation stone of the Rail Coach Repair Factory at Badhi in Sonepat district.
- Prime Minister also visited the museum set up in memory of Deenbandhu Chhotu Ram which depicts and gives glimpses of his life.
8. Srinivasan Swamy becomes the new chairman of International Advertising Association
- Indian advertising veteran and RK Swamy Hansa Group chairman Srinivasan Swamy took over as the new chairman of the International Advertising Association (IAA).
- He is the first Indian to hold the prestigious seat at the 80-year old institution, which is considered the world’s most influential network of marketing and communication leaders.
9. IMF Projects India’s Growth At 7.3% In 2018 and 7.4% In 2019
- As per the IMF’s latest report, India is projected to grow at 7.3% in 2018 and 7.4% in 2019. The report predicted India to regain the tag of the world’s fastest-growing major economy this year, crossing China with more than 0.7 percentage points.
- In China, growth is projected to moderate from 6.9 per cent in 2017 to 6.6% in 2018 and 6.2 % in 2019. In 2017, India had clocked a 6.7% growth rate.
10. NHB Increases Refinance Limit From Rs24,000 crore To Rs30,000 crore
- National Housing Bank (NHB) has decided to increase the Refinance Limit from Rs. 24,000 crore to Rs.30,000 crore for the Current Year (July 2018-June 2019) towards refinancing eligible institutions. Now, eligible Housing Finance Companies & Other entities will have increased availability of funds.
- Till date, Rs.8835 crore has been sanctioned. This refinancing is a credit flow to Housing Finance Companies & other Institutions.
11. Google To Shut Down Google+ For Consumers Over The Security Lapse
- Google will shut down Google+ for consumer use over the next 10 months after a bug exposed the personal data of up to 5 lakh users. Google stated that it discovered and immediately patched the bug in March 2018 but found “no evidence” that any data was actually misused.
- According to Google, Google+ currently has “low usage and engagement” and that 90% of Google+ user sessions last less than 5 seconds. Still, the company plans to keep the service alive for enterprise customers who use it to facilitate conversation among co-workers.
12. Centre Decides To Start Issuing Sovereign Gold Bonds 2018-19 From October
- The Centre in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India has decided to issue Sovereign Gold Bonds 2018-19. The Sovereign Gold Bonds will be issued every month from October to February 2019.
- The 2018-19 Series II tranche will be issued on 23rd of October and the period of submission is 15th to 19th of October. The Bonds will be sold through banks, Stock Holding Corporation of India Limited, designated post offices and recognised stock exchanges National Stock Exchange of India Limited and Bombay Stock Exchange Limited. Know More About Sovereign Gold Bonds 2018-19 Here
13. Asian Para Games 2018: India Bags 11 Medals, 3 Golds
- Javelin thrower Sandeep Chaudhary produced a stunning world record effort as India bagged 11 medals, including three gold, at the Asian Para Games in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Chaudhary clinched India’s first gold of the Games in the men’s category before middle distance runner Raju Rakshitha in women’s 1500 meters and swimmer Jadhav Suyash Narayan in men’s 50-meter butterfly added the yellow metals later on the second day of competitions.
14. Youth Olympic Games 2018: Jeremy, 1st Ever Indian Gold Medallist in YOG
- Weightlifter Jeremy Lalrinnunga has become India’s first-ever gold medallist in the history of Youth Olympic Games (YOG). The 15-year-old achieved the feat by lifting a total weight of 274 kg in the men’s 62 kg category at the 2018 Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Jeremy’s personal best until the Buenos Aires lift was of 273 kg (snatch+clean and jerk), which he achieved during an event at NIS Patiala.
15. Youth Olympic Games 2018: Thangjam Tababi Devi Clinches India’s 1st Judo Medal
- 16-Year-old Thangjam Tababi Devi became India’s first judo medallist at the Olympic level, claiming a silver at the ongoing Youth Games.
- She was defeated by Venezuela’s Maria Giminez in the finals of the women’s 44kg category in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Tababi Devi hails from Manipur. India has never won an Olympic medal in judo either at the senior or the youth level.