Team Gyantaxi presents the Daily GK Update for 9th January 2019. In this Daily GK Update, we have covered all the important National and International current affairs. We have also included Awards and Honours, Appointments, Agreements, Obituaries, Science and Technology, Sports etc. We also provide current affairs quiz based on Daily GK Updates regularly. Once you are done with reading, we request you to attempt the Current Affairs Quiz and the link is provided below. Enjoy reading the Daily GK Update for 9th January 2019.
Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 9th January 2019
1. 1st Ever Global Aviation Summit To Be Held In Mumbai
- In a first, the 2-day long Global Aviation Summit 2019 with the theme “Flying for all” will be organized by the Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) in collaboration with FICCI from January 15-16, 2019 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The summit is supported by International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), Federal Aviation Administration of US (FAA), International Air Transport Association (IATA), CiviI Air Navigation Services Organisation (CANSO), Airports Council International (ACl) and Association of Asia Pacific Airlines (AAPA).
2. Pranav R Mehta Becomes 1st Indian to Head Global Solar Council
- A visionary in the field of Solar Energy and the chairman of National Solar Energy Federation, Pranav R Mehta, has taken over as the president of Global Solar Council (GSC). He has become the first Indian to head the GSC.
- The Global Solar Council (GSC) was launched on December 6, 2015, following the historic United Nations Climate Change Conference (UN COP 21).
- The GSC came into being as International Coalition of more than 30 nations, utilising maximum solar energy, decided to harness the renewable energy for the greater good.
3. MoU Signed Between Indian Army And PNB
- An MoU was signed between the Indian Army and Punjab National Bank on the Defence Salary Package. The signing ceremony was chaired by the Adjutant General, Lt Gen Ashwani Kumar.
- Salient features of the improved and updated MoU are free ‘RAKSHAK PLUS’ Scheme for serving pers and veterans, overdraft facility range from Rs 0.75 to 3.0 lakhs, multicity ‘At Par’ cheques, instant credit of outstation cheques, preferential allotment of lockers at concessional AMC and free SMS alerts.
4. Kumar Rajesh Chandra appointed SSB DG
- Kumar Rajesh Chandra, an IPS officer of the 1985 batch was on Tuesday appointed as the Director General of the (DG) Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
- Chandra will succeed S.S. Deswal.
5. Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019 Passed in Lok Sabha
- The Citizenship Amendment bill seeking to provide Indian citizenship to persecuted minorities from Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Afghanistan was passed by Lok Sabha.
- The Bill provides for Indian citizenship to such immigrants after six years of residence in India instead of 12 years currently.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh moved the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019 in Lok Sabha and was passed after a discussion.
- The Bill seeks to amend the Citizenship Act of 1955 in order to grant citizenship to Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Jains, Parsis and Christians from Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Pakistan if they have lived in India for six years.
6. MoU On ‘India-Norway Ocean Dialogue’ Exchanged
- Prime Minister of Norway Erna Solberg and Prime Minister Narendra Modi held bilateral talks in New Delhi. Prime Minister Modi said that both the countries have vibrant trade ties. MoU were exchanged on India-Norway Ocean Dialogue.
- Erna Solberg also called on President Ram Nath Kovind and Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu. She also delivered the Inaugural address at the Raisina Dialogue and addressed India-Norway Business Summit in New Delhi.
7. NHAI Collaborates with Oil Marketing Companies for Issuance of FASTags
- To ensure easier availability of FASTags, Indian Highways Management Company Ltd. (IHMCL), a company promoted by NHAI, has signed MoUs with state-run Oil Marketing Companies (IOCL, BPC, and HPC).
- It will ensure availability of FASTags at petroleum outlets across India. In the first phase, the tags will be available across 50 Fuel Station in Delhi NCR, which will subsequently be expanded to outlets across India.
- IHMCL has been mandated to implement the National Electronic Toll Collection Program (NETC) in the country. The company launched the program under the brand name “FASTag” in April 2016.
8. Interim Budget To Be Presented on 1 February
- The interim budget for 2019 will be presented on 1 February during the budget session of the parliament.
- The budget session of the Parliament to be held from 31 January to 13 February.
- The decision was taken in the meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs.
9. 2nd Edition Of Khelo India Youth Games Begins In Pune
- The second edition of Khelo India Youth Games has officially begun in Pune, Maharashtra. Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore and Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis attended a virtual torch ceremony at the Shree Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the event through a video message. More than 9,000 players from different states will participate in 18 different events.