Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 15th July 2018
1. Angelique Kerber Wins Maiden Wimbledon Title:
- Former world number one Angelique Kerber defeated seven-time champion Serena Williams in the women’s singles final to clinch her first-ever Wimbledon title. Angelique Kerber hails from Germany.
- Overall, it was the 30-year-old’s third Grand Slam title after having won the Australian Open and US Open in 2016. Despite the defeat, 181st-ranked Serena will move 153 places to rank 28.
2. Djokovic clinches his 4th Wimbledon title, 13th Grand Slam:
- Ex-world number one Novak Djokovic defeated Kevin Anderson on Sunday to clinch his fourth Wimbledon title and overall 13th Grand Slam.
- Djokovic became the fourth player after Roger Federer (8), Pete Sampras (7) and Björn Borg (5) to win Wimbledon men’s title four or more times in Open Era. The title is Djokovic’s first at any level since July 2017.
3. India Becomes Vice Chair Of Asia Pacific Region Of World Customs Organisation:
- India has become the Vice-Chair (Regional Head) of the Asia Pacific Region of World Customs Organisation (WCO) for a period of two years (from July 2018 to June 2020). The underlying Theme of the Inaugural Ceremony is “Customs – Fostering Trade Facilitation”.
- The WCO has divided its Membership into six Regions. Each of the six Regions is represented by a regionally elected Vice-Chairperson to the WCO Council. Being the Vice Chair of AP Region of WCO will enable India to take on the leadership role.
4. PM Lays Foundation Stone For Various Development Projects In Varanasi:
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated or laid the foundation stone of important projects, cumulatively worth over Rs. 900 crore in Varanasi. Among the projects inaugurated are the Varanasi City Gas Distribution Project and the Varanasi-Ballia MEMU train.
- The foundation stone was laid for the Panchkoshi Parikrama Marg and several projects under the Smart City Mission and Namaami Gange. The Prime Minister also laid the Foundation Stone for an International Convention Centre in Varanasi.
- He also laid the Foundation Stone of the Poorvanchal Expressway in Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh.
5. MCA Constitutes 10-Member Committee To Review Offences Under Companies Act, 2013:
- The Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) has constituted a 10 Member Committee, headed by the Secretary of Ministry of Corporate Affairs Mr Injeti Srinivas, for review of the penal provisions in the Companies Act, 2013.
- It has been setup to examine ‘de-criminalisation’ of certain offences. The Committee shall submit its report within thirty days to the Central Government for consideration of its recommendations.
6. Dhoni fastest wicketkeeper-batsman to score 10,000 ODI runs:
- MS Dhoni has become the fastest wicketkeeper-batsman and third fastest Indian to score 10,000 runs in ODI cricket, achieving the feat in his 273rd innings during the second ODI against England on Saturday.
- Overall, the 37-year-old is the fourth Indian after Sachin Tendulkar (259), Sourav Ganguly (263) and Rahul Dravid (287) to cross the 10,000-run mark in ODI cricket.