GK Update & Current Affairs: 23rd July 2018
1. Public Affairs Index 2018: Kerala Best Governed State, Bihar Worst
- According to the Public Affairs Index 2018, Kerala is the best-governed state in the country, released by a Bengaluru think-tank, Public Affairs Centre. As per the report, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Karnataka and Gujarat are among the top five states delivering good governance.
- Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Odisha ranked the lowest on the index, indicating higher social and economic inequalities.
- Among smaller states – with the population less than two crore – Himachal Pradesh topped the list of states with good governance, followed by Goa, Mizoram, Sikkim and Tripura. Meghalaya performed the worst in this list. Manipur, Nagaland, Delhi and Jammu and Kashmir were the other poor performers. This year’s index also measured how child-friendly each state is. Kerala, Himachal Pradesh and Mizoram topped this index.
2. Decisions In 28th Meeting of GST Council: Complete Highlights
• The 28th meeting of GST Council was held in New Delhi. It reduced tax rates on more than 50 items and exempted sanitary napkins, rakhis, stone, marble, wooden deities and Saal leaves from GST. Finance Minister Piyush Goyal chaired the 28th GST Council meeting in New Delhi.
• Highlights On the changes that have been made in the meeting:
1. GST on footwear priced below 1,000 rupees will attract 5% rate. GST on imported urea and ethanol sold to oil companies for blending with petrol and diesel has been reduced to 5%.
2. GST rate on handbags, jewellery box, wooden box for paintings, artware of glass, stone endeavour, ornamental framed mirrors and handmade lamps were reduced to 12%.
3. Lithium-ion batteries, vacuum cleaners, food grinders, mixers, storage water heaters, hair dryers, hand dryers, paint, varnishes, water cooler, milk cooler, ice cream coolers, perfumes, toilet sprays and toilet preparation have been brought to 18 from 28% slab.
4. GST council has cleared 46 amendments which will be passed in Parliament. The exemption limit for traders in Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Sikkim has been increased from 10 lakh to 20 lakh rupees.
3. Government selects 734 athletes for Khelo-India scholarships
• Sports Authority of India (SAI) under Union Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs has cleared 734 athletes for the scholarship under the Khelo India Talent Development Scheme.
• hey were selected High Powered Committee of SAI. Through this programme, the athletes will get training at government-accredited residential academies.
• They will be provided with annual stipend of Rs. 1,20,000 on quarterly basis to meet their out of pocket expenses, treatment of injuries and other expenses.
4. Regional Rail Training Institute inaugurated at Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh
• Indian Railways inaugurated Regional Rail Training Institute (RRTI) at Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh in a bid to strengthen expertise and capabilities of the employees of North-Eastern Railways.
• Besides, newly constructed 400 metre washing pit at Ghazipur City station was also inaugurated at a cost of Rs 19.62 crore.
5. PM Modi Embarked On 3-Nation Visit To Rwanda, Uganda, and South Africa
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi left on a three-nation visit to Rwanda, Uganda and South Africa. In the first leg of his five-day visit, Mr Modi will reach Rwanda. India will extend two lines of credit of 100 million US Dollars each for agriculture and industrial sectors to Rwanda during his two-day visit to that country.
• On second leg he will leave for Uganda where he will call on the President. He will have delegation-level talks and will address Indian community. Two lines of credit worth 164 million US Dollars will be extended to Uganda during the visit. In the last leg of his visit, Prime Minister Modi will reach South Africa to attend the 10th BRICS summit at Johannesburg.
6. Federal Bank Gets RBI Nod To Enter Bahrain, Kuwait, Singapore
• Private Sector Lender Federal Bank has received the regulatory nod to open offices in Bahrain, Kuwait and Singapore, but is awaiting local clearances before it starts operations.
• Federal Bank already has representative offices in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, and its desire to expand comes even as a majority of its larger peers are downsizing their overseas presence.
7. All India Football Federation Awards 2017 Announced: Complete List of Winners
• The All India Football Federation (AIFF), the governing body of football in India named India and Bengaluru FC Captain Sunil Chhetri as the AIFF Player of the Year in the Federation’s Executive Committee Meeting in Mumbai.
• The meeting was chaired by AIFF President Praful Patel. The All India Football Federation has announced several other awards as well in the Meeting. Kamala Devi bagged the 2017 AIFF Woman Player of the Year.
8. Fakhar Zaman, Quickest Player To Reach 1000 Runs In 1-Day Internationals
• Fakhar Zaman recently scored a double century for Pakistan against Zimbabwe and he became the first player from Pakistan to score a double century in a one-day international. He became the quickest player in history to reach 1,000 runs in the format.
• Fakhar Zaman has broken the record of West Indies cricketer Vivian Richards. Fakhar Zaman took 18 innings to reach the 1000 mark. Vivian Richards had achieved this mark in 21 matches.
9. Muhammed Anas Yahiya Breaks Own National Record In 400m
• Star sprinter Muhammed Anas Yahiya once again entered the record books as he broke his own national record to win the 400 metres race at the Cena Noveho Mesta nad Metuji meet in the Czech Republic.
• Anas set a time of 45.24 seconds to break his own record of 45.31 seconds which he had set during the Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast in April 2018.
10. Junior Asian Wrestling Championship: India Win 8 Medals, Iran Tops
• India won 8 medals in the two day Junior Asian Wrestling Championship which concluded in New Delhi. The medals comprised 2 gold, 3 silver and 3 bronze. Sachin Rathi won the gold after winning the bout in the 74-kilogram category. Deepak Punia then won the gold in the 86 kilogram category.
• Iran with 189 points topped the team championship. India with 173 points finished second while Uzbekistan with 128 points came third.
11. Pulitzer Prize-Winning Restaurant Critic Jonathan Gold Passes Away
• Los Angeles Times and Pulitzer Prize-winning restaurant critic Jonathan Gold passed away at 57.
• He became the first restaurant critic to win a Pulitzer for criticism in 2007. Gold died of pancreatic cancer after being diagnosed with the disease.
12. Sunil Chhetri wins 2017 AIFF player of the year award
• Indian national football team’s captain Sunil Chhetri was named as the 2017 All India Football Federation (AIFF) Player of the Year by the national body in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
• Chhetri recently became the second Indian footballer to play 100 international games after Bhaichung Bhutia. He is a star striker for both India and Bengaluru FC.
• While he was declared the 2017 AIFF Player of the Year in the men’s category, Kamala Devi was adjudged the 2017 AIFF woman Player of the Year.
• Young Anirudh Thapa, who had impressed everyone with his performance in the four-nation Intercontinental Cup which India won, was declared as the 2017 Emerging Player of the Year.
• E Panthoi was named as the 2017 woman Emerging Player of the Year.
13. Mohit smashes decathlon U18 national record
• Haryana athlete Mohit Kumar scripted a new youth national record in the men’s decathlon on the second day of the 15th National Youth Athletics Championships in Vadodara , Gujarat on July 22, 2018.
• Mohit tallied 6707 points at the end of the ten events to erase the old mark of 6618 points set by A Sangwan in 2017.
• Mohit was challenged all the way by Andhra Pradesh athlete Sourabh Rathi who also went past the old national record before falling just two points short of Mohit with a total of 6705 points.
14. Odisha police launch drive to bust Pangolin smuggling racket
• Odisha Special Task Force (STF) has launched drive to bust an international syndicate that peddles ‘endangered’ pangolin, one of the world’s most illegally traded mammals.
• It has requested Union Home Ministry to approach the Myanmar government to block the transit route for smuggled pangolin under Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT).
• MLAT is an agreement between nations to exchange information or provide legal assistance for enforcing law.