Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 3rd March 2018
- World’s largest solar park Shakti Sthala launched in Karnataka
- The Karnataka government on Thursday inaugurated the first phase of a 2,000 megawatts (MW) solar park in the drought-prone Pavagada region of Tumkur district, about 180km from Bengaluru.
- The first phase of the Rs. 16,500 crore park called “Shakti Sthala” will generate 600MW, while the balance 1,400MW is expected to be commissioned by the end of this year
- It is part of the “Karnataka Solar Policy 2014-2021” which aims to decrease dependence on traditional power sources and move to environmentally friendly ones to meet the growing power needs of the state.
2. Navjot Kaur, the first Indian woman to win gold at Asian Wrestling Championships
- Navjot Kaur has become the first Indian women to have won the gold medal, at the Asian Wrestling Championships held in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- Defeating her opponent, Miya Imai from Japan with an easy 9-1 victory, Navjot Kaur has written a new page in the history books.
- Sakshi Malik also won the bronze medal in the 62 kg category in the same championship. Vinesh Phogat and Pinki of Indian Railways also bagged silver medals.
3. Indian Navy’s three-week tri-service maritime exercise concludes
- Paschim Lehar, a three-week tri-service maritime exercise off India’s western coast, in which several ships, submarines and fighter aircraft participated, has concluded.
- The three-week long exercise termed Exercise ‘Paschim Leher’, tested the operational readiness of the Western Naval Command and the execution of it’s operational plans.
- Over 40 naval assets including the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, frontline ships of the Western Fleet and Eastern Fleet, including the newly-inducted Kolkata class ones, submarines, potent missile vessels of the 22nd Killer Squadron, patrol vessels and craft of the local flotilla and the Coast Guard participated in the exercise.
4. Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang on three-day visit to India
- Strengthening cooperation in the key areas of defence and trade will be high on the agenda when Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang arrives in India on a three-day visit.
- The two sides are likely to sign memorandums of understanding (MoUs) in the areas of nuclear energy, agriculture and trade and investment during the visit.
- The visiting dignitary will also attend a Vietnam-India Business Forum and the opening ceremony of the Vietnam Days in India 2018.
- Vietnam is also among the larger recipients of scholarships offered under the Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC) programme.
5. Armen Sarkisian Elected Next Armenian President
- Armenian lawmakers elected Armen Sarkisian as the new president of Armenia. He will succeed Serzh Sarkisian. Armen Sarkisian was the ambassador to the United Kingdom.
- He will assume presidential duties after his predecessor steps down in April 2018.
6. 27th Sultan Azlan Shah Cup Hockey Tournament Begins in Malaysia
- The 27th Sultan Azlan Shah Cup Hockey tournament has begun in the Malaysian city of Ipoh. Six nations – India, hosts Malaysia, defending champions England, Australia, Argentina and Ireland – are taking part in the tournament.
- India, currently the world number six side, will take on world number two Argentina in their opening round-robin match.
7. Cabinet approves Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill
- The Union Cabinet today approved the Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill to deal with those who escape overseas after committing financial malpractices.
- The bill seeks to deter economic offenders from evading the process of Indian law by giving powers to the government to confiscate property of absconding corporate defaulters.
- The bill defines a fugitive economic offender as a person who has an arrest warrant issued in respect of a scheduled offence and who leaves or has left India so as to avoid criminal prosecution, or refuses to return to India to face criminal prosecution.