19th July 2018 GK Update & Current Affairs:
1. Andhra Pradesh CM launches e-Pragati platform:
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu launched e-Pragati project, a digital platform for governance in the state.
- The e-Pragati project, launched at Undavalli in Guntur district, is to achieve digitalisation in the state and bring transparency in governance, it will work through cloud management.
- Reforms taken up in education, agricultural marketing, panchayat raj are being made available on this platform.
2. 10th Edition Of Delhi Dialogue Begins In New Delhi:
- The 10th edition of the Delhi Dialogue begins in New Delhi. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj delivered the keynote address of the two-day event. The theme of this event is ‘Strengthening India-ASEAN Maritime Co-operation’.
- Political leadership, policymakers, officials, diplomats, business leaders, think-tanks and academicians from India and ASEAN Member States will participate in the discussions. This is the first major event to be organised after the ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit that was held in New Delhi.
3. Finance Ministry Approves Infusion Of Rs 11,336 Crore In 5 PSBs:
- The finance ministry has approved an infusion of Rs 11,336 crore in five state-owned lenders including PNB, Corporation Bank and Andhra Bank to help them meet the regulatory capital requirement.
- This is the first ever capital infusion in the current fiscal and the remaining amount of Rs 53,664 crore would be disbursed during the course of the year.
1. Punjab National Bank: Rs 2,816 crore (Highest Amount),
2. Allahabad Bank: Rs 1,790 crore,
3. Andhra Bank: Rs 2,019 crore,
4. Indian Overseas Bank: Rs 2,157 crore,
5. Corporation Bank: Rs 2,555 crore.
4. Cabinet Approves Signing Of MoU Amongst BRICS Nations On RAPC:
- The Union Cabinet has approved the signing of MoU amongst BRICS Nations on the Regional Aviation Partnership Cooperation (RAPC).
- The objective is that BRICS countries will benefit from the establishment of an institutional framework to cooperate in the field of civil aviation.
- The MoU signifies an important landmark in the civil aviation relations between India and other BRICS Member States and has the potential to spur greater trade, investment, tourism and cultural exchanges amongst the BRICS Nations.
5. Jana Small Finance Bank Launches Commercial Operations:
- Jana Small Finance Bank announced the commercial launch of its banking operations, the last microfinance company to convert itself into a small finance bank (SFB), three years after the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) gave its in-principle approval.
- The small finance bank was earlier called Janalakshmi Financial Services and weathered huge losses on account of demonetization.
6. SBI Organised Kisan Mela To Educate Farmers On Financial Literacy:
- Kisan Mela was organized at State Bank of India’s rural and semi-urban branches across the country to impart financial literacy to farmers. It is one-of-its-kind initiative to develop connect with farmer customers, resolve their grievances and educate them about their various rights and bank’s initiatives.
- As part of the mela, SBI also plans to offer Kisan Credit Cards to farmers. The bank also made farmers aware of the benefits of timely renewal of KCC account and usage of KCC Rupay Card for transactional convenience.
7. Google Fined $5 Billion By EU In Android Antitrust Case:
- The European Union regulators have slapped Alphabet-owned Google with a record 4.34 billion euro ($5 billion) antitrust fine for abusing the dominance of its Android mobile operating system.
- According to the EU, Google’s parent company has unfairly favoured its own services by forcing smartphone makers to pre-install Google apps Chrome and Search in a bundle with its app store, Play.
8. RBI To Issue New Design Rs100 Denomination Banknote:
- The Reserve Bank of India will shortly issue Rs100 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, bearing the signature of Dr Urjit R. Patel, Governor, Reserve Bank of India.
- The new denomination has Motif of “RANI KI VAV” on the reverse, depicting the country’s cultural heritage. The base colour of the note is Lavender.
- The dimension of the banknote will be 66 mm × 142 mm. All the banknotes in the denomination of Rs100/- issued by the Reserve Bank in the earlier series will continue to be legal tender.
9. Amazon, 2nd Company To Hit $900 Billion Valuation After Apple:
- E-commerce giant Amazon briefly crossed $900-billion market cap for the first time in its history becoming only the second company after Apple to achieve this milestone.
- This comes after Amazon announced it sold over 100 million products during its Prime Day sale. Apple is currently the world’s most valuable company with a market cap of $935 billion.
10. J&K’s 1st All-Women Branch Inaugurated At Jammu And Kashmir Bank:
- Jammu & Kashmir’s first all-women branch of Jammu and Kashmir Bank was inaugurated. First Lady Usha Vohra e-inaugurated the first ‘All-Women Branch of Jammu and Kashmir Bank’ at a function organised at the Sher-i-Kashmir International Convention Centre (SKICC). The total staff strength of the bank is 13.
- Ms Vohra also launched special services and products designed exclusively for women clients of the bank, which included Pink Gold Saving Scheme, Pink Platinum Saving Scheme, Special Loan Facility for Women Entrepreneurs, Pink Gold Debit Card and Pink Platinum Credit Card.
11. 7 New Medal Events Added To Beijing Winter Games 2022:
- Planning for its next three Olympic Games, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has added seven medal events to the 2022 Beijing Winter Games, published a 2020 Tokyo Olympics schedule with no agreement on when to race swimming finals, and set a timetable to add new sports to the 2024 Paris Olympics.
- The next Winter Olympics will now include: women’s monobob, Big Air freestyle skiing for men and women, plus mixed team events in short track speed skating, ski jumping, ski aerials and snowboardcross.